Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007
Very Cool at one Time

SailingAlien is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SailingAlien
Thumbs up The better conditioned boat

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am leaning toward the Catalina (just because I am more familiar with the name) but will go see the O'Day tonight and purchase the one in better shape. I'm so excited I could spit.

Last edited by SailingAlien; 05-24-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Good luck and let us know what you turn up with. And remember, it's always safer to have a surveyor inspect the boat before final purchase.
Old 05-24-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAlien
I'm so excited I could spit.
Heh heh...never heard that one before! Have fun looking at the boats and with whichever one you buy.
Old 05-24-2007

Oday450 is on a distinguished road
Have owned an O'Day 25 for 10 years and have sailed many times on Catalina 22s and 25s. In my opinion, the O'Day is a better built boat although they are older than most Catalinas and may show their age. There is an active O'Day community and a parts dealer who used to work for O'Day specializing in parts and information for and about them.

The 25 sails well and is fast compared to others in its class. The boat has a swinging centerboard --- not a weighted swing keel. There is a 1500 lb lead keel about 18" deep and the centerboard folds into it. When the board is down she draws 6 feet -- 3 feet when up.

The only problem I have ever experienced has been the centerboard becoming stuck in the up position - from barnacles or mud packed in the slot. It's easy to get down when the boat is hauled or by diving under the boat. Just don't crank it up as tight as it will go and this doesn't seem to happen.

Again, in my opinion, if the condition of the boats are comparable (and good) the O'Day is a better buy than the Catalina.
Old 05-24-2007

gman0047 is on a distinguished road
I currently own an O'Day 28. Previously I've had a Catalina 270 and a Precision 23. The Catalina had a wheel and the others a tiller. Only the Precision had a centerboard. I would stick with a tiller because of the feel it gives you. Don't worry about O'days being out of production. They have a very active support group at sailboatowners.com and several good sources for parts. I would go with an O'Day over the Catalina if condition is similar. Consider a Precision 23 also if you can find one (several are for sale if you can go get them). They are simpler, lighter, and better designed in my opinion.
Old 05-24-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
O'Day

We have sailed a 1974 O'Day 22' for the last twenty years and it has never let us down. She's always been a solid boat. I would definately recommend a full marine survey on whichever boat you decide on though. We just purchased a 1987 Pearson 27 and the survey paid for itself and a couple other things after further negotiations. You also have the security of knowing exactly what issues the boat has. I'm a big O'Day fan but like a lot of other posts have mentioned... either boat would be a good choice depending on condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2007
Very Cool at one Time

SailingAlien is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SailingAlien
Marine Survey

Yes I am thinking a marine survey is a smarter move. I just don't know what to look for other than the obvious signs like fiberglass cracks around the mast, moldy bilges and the like. Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely do that.
Old 05-24-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Things to look for: soft spots on the deck, water intrusion into the cabin (specifically around the chainplates,) Sail condition... sails are a big part of the boats value. Also, one thing that has given me some clues about a boats condition is weather or not there are good records kept IE: oil change receipts, sail repair work, etc. Of course, a qualified surveyor will give you a full report on the boat and that is the way to go. Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2007

shantijwk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak
Catalina. They are better boats, for what it's worth, and the manufacturer is still in business.
Perhaps it is because O'Day put too much into their boats that they are not in business. Also there are more than a few boats in production by others than the original teams that made the reputation... although I do not know if that statement is true for Catalina.
All good old boats have their quirks. Best condition for the money is good advice.
Regarding tiller or wheel; have several "crew" stand in the cockpit while you think about traffic pattern at sea & at dock
Finally, I Love my O'Day 27 - solid boat, fun to sail, many parts available thru D&R Marine.
No matter your decision - Have Fun!
Wayne
Shanti
Old 05-24-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I like Odays. Good boats. So are Catalinas. Base your decision on the boat itself. I do not think one is made better than the other. Have fun shopping.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.