Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007
Very Cool at one Time

SailingAlien is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SailingAlien
O'Day

Got inside the O'Day today and what a difference. I like the drop table (the Catalina's table was built in) and the bulkheads were teak instead of fiberglass. The O'Day had a lot more upgrades and I was surprised how much carpet improved the look. I've called 3 survey marine places down here but they must be making too much money to call back. I liked the fact that the O'Day owners are the second owners of the boat and just sailed it a couple of weeks ago. The Catalina has been sitting since last summer. Guess it will all come down to negotiation. The O'Day is 1k more than the Catalina. It might be worth it but I'm going to have to sell my beloved motorcycle to make it work. So my heart is panged. And great advice from everyone and I appreciate the upbeat tone. I recall from years past a plaque my father had on the bulkhead of our Chris Craft 36. "A boat is a whole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money". Might be true and all but it is the adventure.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope you can get the O'Day... good luck with the negotiations and the survey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-25-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
It might be worth it but I'm going to have to sell my beloved motorcycle to make it work.
If it's any consolation... If you buy the boat and take care of it, you stand a decent chance of recouping your purchase price when you sell it. It's a bit harder to do that with bikes...

But selling your bike is a pretty drastic move. Have you considered putting your furniture on ebay ??

If you have a bike and a boat, the priorities are taken care of. All you really need on top of those is an apartment with an air mattress.
Old 05-25-2007

Oday450 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Or just sleep on the boat
Old 05-25-2007
Very Cool at one Time

The funny thing is, I actually asked the wife yesterday if we could sell the formal living room furniture since we never go in that room anyhow. I also told her I was going to sell some heirlooms to try to have both my priorities still around. The heirlooms she went for but the furniture was a harder sale. I lost that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
If it's any consolation... If you buy the boat and take care of it, you stand a decent chance of recouping your purchase price when you sell it. It's a bit harder to do that with bikes...

But selling your bike is a pretty drastic move. Have you considered putting your furniture on ebay ??

If you have a bike and a boat, the priorities are taken care of. All you really need on top of those is an apartment with an air mattress.
Old 05-25-2007
Very Cool at one Time

Y'all are giving me too many good ideas.
Old 05-25-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Ebay

ha ha... i went the ebay route too. I had stuff around the house that i haven't used in years... off to ebay! I raised another 2000 for the new boat but it was a long process with lots of trips to the UPS store. It was win win though cause i got the house cleaned up a bit (good for the fiance ) and i got closer to purchasing a good boat rather than an ok one. We were deciding between an 87 O'Day 272LE and a 87 Pearson 27. They were both nice boats but the Pearson won out even though we were big O'Day fans.

Old 05-25-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Either Or

I sailed a 28 O'Day for several years, moved up to a 37 Endeavour. The O'Day company went out of business not because they built a less than perfect boat, but because the founder retired and sold his molds to a company that was starved out during the tax/cost squeeze during the late 80's. They built a great boat, as does catalina. Most larger o'days were powered by a Yanmar diesel, current production and no parts shortage. Smaller ones were powered by outboards, which makes it easy to repair or replace. A 25 with a swing keel is trailerable, could be taken along on that dream vacation in the North Channel of Lake Huron. Go with the one in best condition!
Old 05-28-2007

Stevo007 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been on a few larger O'Days and several Cats. Its my opinion that the O'Days seemed to be better made. Sure you want to sell your bike?..Dont you have an extra kidney or something less important?

Good luck with your purchase
Old 05-31-2007

VASailor10 is on a distinguished road
I am not very familiar with O'Days. However I own a 1983 Catalina 22 and love it. It is also quite easy to find parts for Catalinas, through Catalina direct, as a previous reply noted.

-Spencer

PS- Check the condition of the swing keel. God blessed me so that I was lucky enough to find a boat with a replaced swing keel (relatively new).