Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007
Very Cool at one Time

SailingAlien is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SailingAlien
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASailor10
I am not very familiar with O'Days. However I own a 1983 Catalina 22 and love it. It is also quite easy to find parts for Catalinas, through Catalina direct, as a previous reply noted.

-Spencer

PS- Check the condition of the swing keel. God blessed me so that I was lucky enough to find a boat with a replaced swing keel (relatively new).
Can you explain what you mean? My Precision had a centerboard (straight forward) and I've never been up close and personal with a swing keel. I picture a swing keel as a solid keel (x inches or feet deep) with a hole in it where the lower keel can swing into it. Other than the pull line, cleat and pivot point, what can do wrong? Not being funny, just don't know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A swing keel is basically a heavily weighted centerboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-01-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Other than the pull line, cleat and pivot point, what can do wrong?
Not a lot. You might find sea creatures setting up housekeeping inside the trunk, thus making it difficult to raise it completely, or might scrape the sides of it when you raise and lower it. If you run aground, it might bend (depending on how it is constructed) but it is more likely that your pivot will be damaged than the keel itself ...

The primary thing to look at is how it is constructed, and whether or not it is sound. If it is a flat piece of metal encased in fibreglass, or something else, it's possible that there may be some internal corrosion if the outer sheathing has been damaged. I have no knowledge of O'Day swing keels, so I think that the best thing to do would be to ask for information regarding the constuction on the O'Day Owner's website. Would probably be a good idea to hang out on there for a while to see what problems tend to occur with that particular model.

Hope it works out well for you

Last edited by Sailormann; 06-01-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-01-2007

Yado is on a distinguished road
I haven't checked on all the responses but I'd stay away from the Catalina 25 and 22 swing keel. I have extensive experience with the Catalina 25 swing keel and it's horrible. You have to leave the helm, go below, and crank the thing. If you just hit bottom or need to bring the keel up quickly you're screwed. The O'Day 222 is a great boat because it has a keel AND a centerboard, and a centerboard uphaul that can be pulled up and down with one hand still on the tiller. That is a great little boat. I'd look at this fresh water sailed O'Day 272 with a wing keel. If the keel gets mud sucked...stuck...you can step off and push.
Certified Sales, Inc. (Warwick, RI)
YADO
Old 06-02-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I'd look at this fresh water sailed O'Day 272 with a wing keel. If the keel gets mud sucked...stuck...you can step off and push.
Actually,... I've looked at that exact boat in person and there was some serious water intrusion into the cabin. Standing water in the v-berth. The engine wouldn't crank and the "freshly refinished" teak and holly sole was bubbled up and in poor shape. We liked the O'day 272 and looked at another in NJ but found the Pearson 27 to be a lot nicer... and we found it in NC so no transport involved.

Old 06-02-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
Big differences betweent the Oday and Catalina centerboards. The Catalina is really a swing keel. All of your ballast is in the swinging centerboard. You need to crank that bad boy up or down with a mechanical device. This is not quite as bad as it sounds as Catalina makes a jillion of these things and it has the kinks ironed out; the mechanisms are reliable and serviceable. That doesn't mean they don't have disadvantages, just that Catalina has managed to minimize them. All your ballast is in a moveable piece attached to the boat by one pin. Not for me, thanks. However, lots of people have trusted this arrangement for years and are no worse off for it.

The Oday centerboard is not part of the ballast. All of the Oday ballast is is encapsulated within the hull in a stubby, permanent keel. The centerboard swings down from a slot in the center of this keel. It is controlled by a single line lead into the cockpit. No block and tackle, no cranks. Advantages: simple and easy to handle.

That being said, I agree with the others who say that both are well made boats and if all other things are equal for you, go with the one that is in better shape. I own an Oday 23, which I bought over a Catalina 22 and a Catalina 25.
Old 06-18-2007

KnotFlying is on a distinguished road
So....what did you get?

I have a 1983 O'Day 25 that is a pleasure to sail. I have had no problems with the centerboard or really anything else. I have heard good things about the Catalina boats as well. Either way I'm sure you'll have a great time on the water.
Old 06-18-2007

TAK is on a distinguished road
If you are looking at that type of boat in vintage and size you may want to include Cals in your search.
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD