Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
all i gotta say is that boat sucks..... JK, shes a beauty. for some dumd S reason or onother. I have not been a big fan of wooden boats (Not sure why). They are beautiful and wood floats better than the rest, and people have been sailing wood boats for ages. but upkeep is a beeautch so ive heard, and the horror stories of the wood worms? i'm friggen confused but she is def a beauty! screw it bro go with what mamma likes, if shes happy you will be too!

Edit: I used to do planking in the early 1990's an im quite fascinated with with the planking on this boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Last edited by uspirate; 05-27-2007 at 03:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Pirate...this hull is cold molded and there is no worry about worms or anything else. Here's a brief summary of how it is done....
Six River Marine - West Pointer skiffs
Old 05-27-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Beautiful boat ! Being cold-moulded it's not going to need as much work to maintain as a 'traditional' wooden boat. I had a cold-moulded schooner and found that as long as I was careful about sealing everything, it was not much more work than a fibreglass boat (but it was not a bright hull - they do scratch ). Sea water is a lot kinder to wood than fresh water - basically 'pickles' the wood and rot is much slower to set in. If you maintain your external epoxy layer well you'll have a nice warm, dry boat because they sure don't sweat like solid glass hulls do.

Was looking at the mast - it appears that it might be a solid stick. If so - this is something you really need to watch carefully as they can split when they get too dry. If the split is fairly straight and doesn't run deep - then it won't weaken too much, but you might want to plan on switching to aluminum - less weight - less windage and a lot less maintenance.

Looks like it's made for adventures and I am sure that you'll enjoy her. Good luck !
Old 05-29-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
She's got aluminum spars and SS rigging. As far as the balance, she sits better now than she did in the first photo because the builder didn't have much of a finished interior in her when that photo was taken and you can see the absence of the roller furlers. Like the broker said, she's basically 2 years old except the hull, deck and rigging. Pirate, I was intrigued by the planking as well.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 05-29-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2007

conrat66 is on a distinguished road
Definitly a beautiful boat. I also think that she may be a bit underpowered. I live in the SE but believe where you live you may do a bit of motoring. Therfore a little larger engine. Great boat a bit jealous myself.
Old 06-05-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Hope your house sells fast! Momma liked it on the way north to anacortes sunday! At least I am assuming it is the same boat moored in La Conner on the channel. Looks like a nice boat, altho not the style we would choose.

Marty
Old 06-05-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
So do I and yes, the boat is moored in the channel in La Conner. It wasn't what I started out looking at either but it grew on me. I reckon I can race around the cans in my little boat and race that one in some distance races. The thing I like about it is the fact that some PNW sunshine won't be an issue at all if I wanna go sailing. I can sit in the cockpit and tiller steer while dripping wet or go in the pilothouse where it's warm and dry to wheel steer from a comfy helm chair. It all depends on how old school I feel on a given day. It's the first tiller/wheel combo boat I've ever seen with a disengage feature on the tiller.
Old 06-05-2007

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
A pilot house is the only way to go in the PNW if you want to extend your sailing season. When I saw the add placing it in LaConner I wondered where in the PNW the water was that color, but you say it has been to South America so I guess that is where the photo shoot took place. Nice looking boat, wish my wife would let me buy a pilot house so I could sail more, but she hates the styling, goes more for the sleek look. Maybe in a few more years.
Old 06-06-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Agreeing with Valiente here. It does seem damnably cheap for all that boat !! Maybe it's the timber thing or maybe it's just the comparison between what is for sail down here for a lot more money.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-07-2007
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Why would you buy a boat your mother likes?????