Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"What problem will I have."
Well, if you don't obtain and use charts, you WILL go aground. It doesn't matter what you go boating in, if you don't know the waters you are going to go aground. The only questions are when, and with how much damage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
I have 10 feet draft and have no problem......
Yes, but you are the "Sailing God" ...besides, if you run aground, that little torpedo pops off and you keep on going...
Old 05-29-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by altimesone
Thanks for the input.The marina where I keep my boat now has 6 feet or more water and I may have found the boat I,ve been looking for.So I wanted to know if I should just keep looking. Most places I go now are 7 to 10 feet and occasions I sometime my self creeping in on 4 feet of water.
Get the boat that makes you smile.. .if it has a 6' draft, then you'll just have to be a little more cautious..ie no wheat juice whilst underway
Old 05-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I repeat...it is FOOLISH to buy a 6' draft boat if you really want to explore NC waters.
Old 05-30-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Nah, takes a especially intelligent person to understand that a multihull is a naturally superior mode of transportation... Something most of you lead mine sailors haven't figured out...
Yeah, butt att weast we's cun spels gooder.

HAHA!

Other than that... no comment.
Quote:
camaraderie - I repeat...it is FOOLISH to buy a 6' draft boat if you really want to explore NC waters.
Cam knows NC a lot better than I do, but SW Florida and the keys ain't exactly deep water either. I will say that if you do get a deeper draft boat, get some davits and a nice dink (or just pull it behind you). You can base the boat in one locale and explore in the dink. That is what we do. I actually think that is the BEST way to approach shallow water. It is a lot less stressful and opens up possibilities that are not possible from a large boat.

However, if you have no interest in that, better follow Cam's advice. It is usually pretty good... usually (smile).

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Cd...thanks (I think!)...Buying a 6' draft boat here is very much like buying one for the keys. Why limit yourself to the Hawk channel? See both sides with 4 ft. and a centerboard!
Just avoid wing keels! (G)
Old 05-31-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I repeat...it is FOOLISH to buy a 6' draft boat if you really want to explore NC waters.
I second that comment...

Quote:
Just avoid wing keels! (G)
...Which is one reason we went with the wing keel! Draft was a BIG issue for us... that and bridge clearance. I was even looking at a Morgan Out Island 28... nice full keel boat, but what a slug with the 10' beam! Eventually decided on the Pearson 27. We sail primarily in the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound so the wing was a good choice for us.

Last edited by Joel73; 05-31-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Wing keels rule !