Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007

StupidQuestionFactory is on a distinguished road
Question Cabo Rico Question(s)

Hello All,

There's a 1976 36' Cabo Rico for sale in the Virgen Islands:

Cabo Rico at yachtworld.com

To the best of my (very limited) knowledge, Cabo Rico has a great reputation. And if I'm not mistaken, they are generally priced well above US$39K.

Is this particular boat some sort of "imitation" Cabo Rico?

Or is this really a Cabo Rico with which a qualified sailor might sail from, say, Florida to the Azores?

Your attempts to push me toward enlightenment will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Lizandro
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is probably a real Cabo Rico, since it would be illegal to call it a Cabo Rico, unless it is a Cabo Rico. It is probably not in very good shape...and that is probably the reason for the low price. If a boat is significantly lower in price than its sister-ships, there is almost always a very significant reason for it.

From the photos in the website, the teak deck looks like it is going to be a problem... as does the aft deck, which has some poorly patched holes in the photo and badly damaged gelcoat. The interior also looks like it'll need a fair bit of work.

For instance, compare these two photos:

The boat you listed:

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/5/...?1151324505000

Another one listed for $54,000 on Boats.com:

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/5/...?1152886234000

Although you can't see as much of the foredeck in the second photo, it is pretty clear that the deck is in much better shape. You don't clearly see the bungs in the decking as you do in the first photo.. and the wood appears much cleaner and not splotchy and stained as it does in the first photo.

Also, the bow pulpit is clearly damaged on your boat's photos, and the stanchion and pulpit are rusting badly in comparison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-27-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
...and lets not forget the possiblity of this being a "hurricane boat" that has been salvaged.
Old 05-28-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
...and lets not forget the possiblity of this being a "hurricane boat" that has been salvaged.

Does make you wonder, a boat like that just recently sold here for 65,000 and that was considered a steal

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Pappy...what struck me as funny is that the picture of the aft deck shows the mizzen mast base...it looks fresh and painted compared to the shoddy condition of everything else. Also in the full boat picture...it looks like a different color than the main mast. May just be photography but it was enough to at least raise my suspicions.
Old 05-28-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Tiburon's were the precursors to Cabo Ricos. The Tiburon 36 is what later became the Cabo Rico 38. Pretty much the same hull, designed by Wm. Crealock. If I recall correctly, the transom was extended to make it a CR 38. A recent issue of Latitudes & Attitudes had a Tiburon 36 as the monthly feature boat (sorry, don't remember which issue, but it was within the last year I believe). It was a well written profile of the boat and her owners who were out cruising.

Interestingly, I was just on the BVI Yacht Sales web site this morning (BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.) and it looks like they have the same boat listed. Could be a great buy for someone with the wherewithall to fix/refurb whatever needs doing.

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 05-28-2007

Thank you all for your responses! It's nice to have a forum like this, where people who know much more than I are willing to participate in a discussion.

SailingDog:
You're right, of course. Thank you for reminding me that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. My rose colored glasses did a great job of obscuring the rust (and other obvious danger signs) until you kindly pointed it out.

Camaraderie:
Good Point! As a California native, I'm ashamed to confess that the thought of hurricane damage never leaps to the forefront of my alleged brain.

PDPappy:
That's exactly why I was curious. I've also heard that 65K is a "steal". But maybe MoonFish hit it on the nose...

MoonFish:
Aha! Tiburons were the 'precursors' to Cabo Ricos. Perhaps the Tiburons are considered step-sisters and therefore command fewer resale dollars.

I don't believe I have the wherewithal to tackle such a project. The decks alone seems a horrendous task. I hate to think about all the other projects that must be lurking throughout the ship.

Now... if I could get it for 10K...

Cheers Mates!
Old 06-23-2007

cyndimarcus is on a distinguished road
Have you found your boat yet? We are looking to do some coastal cruising and it is time to move up to a bigger boat. AHH the bigger boat syndrome
Old 06-25-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
You can eat up the savings in a poor condition boat very quickly but you will also know what you have when finished ( if "finished" ever applies to a boat).
pigslo
Old 07-05-2007

Price Drop

Hello All,

Just thought it was time to update this thread...

Based on the very sound advice offered, I quietly allowed the idea of flying off to the Virgin Islands, buying the Cabo Rico and sailing her back home to California melt away.

I looked for her again recently to see if she had sold. Not only is she still on the market, but the price has been lowered by a whopping eleven thousand dollars (from 39K to 28K).

Well --I thought to myself-- this boat may have some major problems but if they're going to give her away, I want to be the first in line. So I sent an email to the one person I thought might be able to provide specific details about the boat's condition: The Broker

Believe me; I hesitated in writing the broker. Brokers seem to have a bad reputation here at SailNet and probably for good reason. But my expectations were low enough that I felt protected from disappointment. To be honest, I half expected no response from the listing agent. My experience has been that agents/brokers don't reply to email and I'm guessing they don't even check their mailboxes with any regularity.

I also expected that should I receive a response, it would be along the lines of: The boat's in pretty good shape, especially for the price. I'm sure she'll make it to California with maybe just some gentle sailing techniques. Come down and have a look!

But I was pleasantly surprised to have received a response that was not only timely (the next day) but also appeared to be forthcoming regarding the challenges facing the boat (and the new owner). So I thought I would share the major portions of the agent's email:

<><><><><>

I believe the hull and deck are structurally sound. The teak decks need to
be removed and resurfaced. The deck gelcoat is also very worn and could be
repainted when the new deck surfaces were finished. The bow & stern pulpits,
stanchions and lifelines all need replacing. The spars appear to be fine and
some of the standing rigging was replaced on the main mast in 2000. The
sails are reportedly 10-12 old and in fair condition. The boat has not been
hauled out since 2000 so it definitely needs new bottom paint. An epoxy
barrier coat was applied in 2000 during the last haulout in 2000. The engine
starts easily and sounds good but, I have not witnessed the engine under
load, only idling on the mooring. The interior is in decent shape but, the
aft cabin cabinetry could use some finish work. The owner did some
remodeling but didn't complete the installation of trim work and doors on
some of the storage compartments. The interior also needs all new cushions
and upholstery. As for plumbing and electrical I think most of it is OK but,
should be checked before cruising. New navigation instruments are needed.

This boat can certainly be revived and enjoyed again but, she needs a
considerable amount of work. Ideally she will be bought by a boat savvy
person who can do most of the work himself. There are several yards and
enough parts available locally to get it done. What canít be procured
locally can be ordered. Once she is refit the boat could cruise thru the
canal and on to the west coast.

<><><><><>

Of course, I have no way of knowing whether or not the agent "forgot" to mention the two most critical problems or the three hundred fifty-two minor problems, but he did seem to make it clear that the boat would do best with a new owner that is dripping with "boat savvy" (broker speak for money, of course).

So I will again allow this idea to slip away... but please, God, let me find a boat to buy here in California before the price of this one drops to 10K!

Cheers Mates!