Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007

coldandhardy is on a distinguished road
Wow what a feeling!!!

After 2 years of looking at boats I/we finally took an irreversable step forward.

As a boy I always wanted to sail the oceans and explore the world. I was born on the Canadian prairies (nearest lake was 50 km. away). Never had a boat and never rode on a boat until I was 20 or so (now 57). My first boat was a 14 ft. powerboat. I learned to water ski and have fun at the lake (age 30 or so).

At age 41 I met a wonderful woman whom I married. While dating she asked me what I would ever do if I sold my business someday and I told her that I would buy a nice sail boat and venture to see the world. She exclaimed "what a wonderful dream". Looking back neither of is quite sure what she meant when she said that but she has recently modestly warmed up to the idea of a ocean going sailboat after 3 charter vacations this past winter. One was on a mono-hull and the other 2 were on catamarans.

Stepping back again at age 43 we bought a 27 ft. cabin cruiser and enjoyed lake and river sailing and short live aboards. While I couldn't get enough time sailing to satisfy my ambitions the bit we did was more enjoyed by me than both of us. Frankly she really enjoyed the part where the boat was tied up to the dock and would often drive ahead to meet me when I got there.

A year ago I sold my business and we began looking seriously at sailboats. We both agreed that we wanted a larger catamaran. My wife liked the Lagoon 44 that we had chartered on. I refused to own a boat that is primarily designed for the charter industry. Eventually we settled on a larger 2005 Privilege Catamaran. It is now lying in Europe. We are outfitting her "Lady Rosanne" and intend to move her to the Carribean this winter with a paid crew + me. My wife won't be driving agead this time ha ha and will instead move up to flying in to me me.

It is such an incredible feeling that I have for this new chapter.

See you all there someday I hope!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Good luck on the prep and the trip. We have friends that charter a Privilege out of the Grnadines and (if you MUST have 2 hulls! ), they are certainly well made and fitted out compared to many others. Keep us posted on the journey!
Old 05-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats and I hope it all works out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.