Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007
Very Cool at one Time

SailingAlien is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SailingAlien
Unhappy Breaks went against us

Y'all gave me a lot of advice over the past couple weeks while I was looking at a Catalina or O'Day 25. We decided on the O'Day and made an offer on it last week, which was accepted contingent on a Sea Trial this week. However, over Memorial Day weekend, enough bad things happened to just about end our purchase, at least for now. First, on Friday night my home computer (I am typing this from work so don't tell) melted down. So now I have to buy a new computer. Then, on Sunday morning, I noticed the ceiling in our dining was dripping and when I looked closer I saw water stains covered much of the ceiling. Turns out or shower stall is leaking and has been pouring water through the walls. The estimate is in the 4 digit range (he just came out this morning). So now I am several thousand dollars lighter than I was on Friday. This pretty much ends my boat purchase for the time being. I am so crushed and am scrambling to come up with ideas but I don't see a way out. It is hard to see a dream get pushed out even further. Anyway, thanks for the advise and good humor. I'm going to have a rum drink and feel sorry for myself...

Last edited by SailingAlien; 05-30-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Changing the title
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Alien...too bad...but life happens that way sometimes. Don't worry...just work to make your dream come true. A dream derferred is better than none!
Old 05-29-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey at least you have a house....think of those that would like to have one!!!
Old 05-29-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Don't give up...

Besides... the end of the season will be here too soon anyway and that means very motivated sellers. So... do some damage control and keep the boat on the back burner for a few months and before you know it you'll find another boat. I was in a similar boat (ha ha) a few months back and it turned out for the best. Now we have our finances back in line AND our new boat. Now if i can just sell our O'Day 22!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Why not just get a cheaper boat for now, and go sailing. They always have some good deals at Snug Harbor. Check it out.
http://www.boattraderonline.com/gall...&dlr_id=728867
Old 05-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why do you need a new computer? Upgrading or repairing it isn't all that difficult in most cases, and generally cheaper than buying a new one.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-29-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Yep, these pc's will last a long time if you know what to do. I have been on this same Dell since 2002. Sometimes all is not lost when your pc gets goofy.
The only reason I update, is to speed things up a bit. Besides, $500 will buy most folks all the pc they need.
Old 05-30-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I agree I have had an axe in the family for near 50 yrs only had 4 new handles and 2 new heads.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-30-2007
Very Cool at one Time

SailingAlien is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SailingAlien
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
I agree I have had an axe in the family for near 50 yrs only had 4 new handles and 2 new heads.
Things may not be so bad. Got another quote on our house which is actually reasonable. On the computer I found a refurb which helped. So hopefully within a month we'll be ready again. Just have to make wind noises and pretend I'm Captain Jack for a while longer - I hope.
Old 05-30-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Captain Jack will bring you home tonight...
And take you to your special island...