Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007

otaga05 is on a distinguished road
Angry Insurance and Survey Recommendations

deleteed

Last edited by otaga05; 01-03-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really need a different insurance company. None of the issues that you've mentioned is really a danger to the well-being of safety of the boat.

The Fire Extinguishers and Flares are basically normal maintenance items IMHO. The placards are needed for USCG compliance.

The hour meter and tachometer aren't going to affect how the engine works or how safe it is to any significant degree. It might affect your ability to keep a proper maintenance schedule and make it a bit more difficult to judge how hard you're pushing the engine, but that's about it.

The slight wetness in the deck needs to be addressed and repaired properly, but isn't an immediate threat to the boat or its well-being IMHO. Same with the gelcoat and the holding tank.

Contact Christine Hartge over at Hartge Insurance.

Hartge Insurance Associates
P.O. Box 250
Galesville, MD 20765
Phone: 1 (800) 999-5251/410 867-6666
Fax: 410 867-6664

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-30-2007

chrisn586 is on a distinguished road
I recently had the same situation with the insurers of our new boat. In the end I just gave in and signed off that all recomendations regardless of how insignificant had been completed. They did not request reciepts. So now the pressure is on to get after those little problems quickly and hope that there are no related claims in my future. I've never had a claim, but I'm sure that they'll be keeping my survey and sign off in hopes of not paying if I ever do have a problem.
Chris
Old 05-30-2007

DLM is on a distinguished road
I had the same situation. The issues that were involved in the survey had nothing to do with how seaworthy the boat was....yet I couldn't get it insured. Still haven't.... I really didn't care about the boat all I was concerned about was the liability....
Old 05-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn586
I recently had the same situation with the insurers of our new boat. In the end I just gave in and signed off that all recomendations regardless of how insignificant had been completed. They did not request reciepts. So now the pressure is on to get after those little problems quickly and hope that there are no related claims in my future. I've never had a claim, but I'm sure that they'll be keeping my survey and sign off in hopes of not paying if I ever do have a problem.
Chris
I would recommend not doing this, as you're basically lying to the insurance company. If you're ever caught doing so, you're gonna get screwed royally for it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-30-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Tell those insurance companies to take a hike. There are thousands of insurance companies that will welcome your business. A tach has nothing to do with the safety of your vessel. Can you imagine if you ever had to make a claim with either of those companies? I have great service from a company called Lloyds of London here in Canada. Not sure where you are, but make some calls. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2007

chrisn586 is on a distinguished road
I don't recomend doing what I did; I'm only relating a similar situation and my temporary solution. As soon as possible all of the surveyors recomendations will be addressed. Most of those recomendations could not result in a loss any way.
Old 05-30-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You have a problem, I had a few things like that, and just said when my time line to fix the problems were. IE the fire extinguisher, flares etc were done soon after buying, new bottom paint, again when it was pulled, I had new paint after survey was done.

THere were a few otherthings, as in the headliner was falling down, ok, so it took 18 months or so to finish....they sent me notes every 3-4 months or so, I then said what was done etc. The only thing left, is teh cutlass bearing was slighty loose, and even the surveyer said he had to list it, but if it was his boat, he would worry about it the next haul out, being as the motor is only goin 2000-2500 rpms or so. If it would have been a 10K rpm deep vee ocean racer, another story.

SOmething is not right here, they are being a bit to strict!

marty
Old 05-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We had a similar situation on the last purchase we made - the insurer (whom we'd used for the previous decade or more) insisted on all recommendations being completed within 30 days - ordinarily not bad but this was in November and some of the jobs (resealing windows, for instance) I considered warm weather chores.

They did not budge and in the end we went to another carrier, but ended up at a higher rate.
Old 05-30-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
When I faced the same sort of situation on a large motor yacht which had employed me as engineer I opened a dialogue directly with the insurer and kept them decided with them which items were critical and dealt with those immediately. The balance of the recommendations wer dealt with over the following several months as we cruised the Bahamas. As long as I was upfront with them and kept them informed they seemed to feel sure that their concerns were being taken seriously and they were only too happy to take the money!