Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007

FritzN is on a distinguished road
Calfornia Slip

Does anyone know of a place in California that has temporary slip availability for a 44-foot boat? Everyone I've talked to out there, mentions long waiting lists at the major marinas. I would only need the slip for the months of July and August, and then I'd move the boat to its permanent home at the Hotel Coral Marina in Ensenada, Mexico (about 60 miles south of San Diego).

I would prefer San Francisco, because of its more challenging boating conditions (brisk summer winds, strong currents and frequent fog) for an intensive shakedown and familiarization with the new (to me) boat's systems and its performance characteristics. However any harbor will do as long as it has extensive marine services, including a good boat yard, a well equipped boat supply store, and plenty of experts in the areas of installation and maintenance of popular boat systems. (The marina must also have good security.)

I've been told by the dockmaster at the Marriott Hotel & Marina in San Diego that there is a ten-year waiting list for a San Diego slip.

My understanding is that, because land is so expensive in California, marinas are not being built -- even as the number of new boats sold in the state continues to increase.

Any input will be appreciated.

Fritz
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
I am not a California sailor, however slips in many places are a pain to get anymore.

Getting into a slip for two months in prime time will be a problem almost anywhere. If you are going to be doing lots of refitting, in other words spending lots of money, you may try boatyards in your preferred cruising grounds and see if they would find a place for you based on spending X. Probably not as pretty as staying at the SanFrancisco Yacht Club, but a home for a couple of months.

Good Luck
Old 05-31-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Most Marinas have guess slips, but you need to make reservation, dana point has 30 in the west cove and a unknown mount in the east basin, east basin has a shipyard, parts house & fuel dock; They run 1.00/ft/night and 30,60,90 day stays are not unhead of, I know a guy with a 40' Kettenburg has been in the west cove guess docks since Oct 06 doing repairs

But then it's also not SF bay

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-31-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I just remembered, there is a 40' slip available form june to sept in DP, if your interested, I could get the phone number this weekend

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-31-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
In my area you may try Ventura Isle Marina, Ventura, or Anacapa Isle Marina in Oxnard. They're both operated by the same management group, Alamar. Pricey, but probably can find a slip.
Old 05-31-2007

Gene T is on a distinguished road
You can find a berth in SF Bay if you are not too fussy. I see spots available on craigs list for the city once in a while, Sausalito could be tough but Richmond should be OK, Alameda even has some spots (one guy on craigs list has been offering 50' slips for $10/ft for a long time now). You could even find a spot at a boat yard like Nelsons if need be.
Old 05-31-2007
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
Its not a matter of high real estate prices for the lack of new marinas/slips. Its the coastal commission and all the environmental rules. But that is another subject.
The Los Angeles Harbor/Wilmington area seems to have more availability than others in Southern California. I guess its not very pretty there and/or far from where rich people are.
Old 05-31-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
On Craigslist you will find a 50' slip at pier 39. You can also contact Pier 39 directly(search google) and they will probably have one available. Southbeach Harbor also will sublet, we just turned down a large slip there because we got a longer sublet elsewhere. They have more to choose from in November, during the off season. Sausalito will be hard to find anything. Emery Cove is right at the back door of the "slot", nice marina, warm sunny location. You have to beat all the way to the Gate, but its DDW all the way home. Alameda has something like five marinas, you should be able to find something there. Try the Grand Marina first. Ballena Bay is nice, but expensive.
EDIT- The Pier 39 50' slip is gone for now, but keep checking, it will be back. Here is one in Benecia: BOAT - Benicia Marina Sub-Lease 45 Foot Slip

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 05-31-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2007

FritzN is on a distinguished road
Thanks All\Poopdeckpappy Question

Thanks everyone. You've saved me a lot of calling around.

poopdeckpappy,

I hadn't considered Dana Point. Since I'm buying a Mason 44, and Dana Point is the home of Pacific Asian Enterprises, the developer, this would be ideal. I know there are a lot of people in Dana Point that know the boats very well. (Some of the salesmen at Lemest Yacht Sales -- PAE's brokerage arm --date back to the Mason days. In fact, I just talked to one yesterday.)

Also, I kept my Mason 33 there for the first year after I bought it, and know the area well. (My last California home was in South Laguna -- just a few miles away.)

The slip that you mentioned is 40 feet. The Mason 44 is, of course, four feet longer. I don't think the marina would allow it, and it would probably be dangerous.

I'll try reaching someone regarding the guest slips.

Thanks again everyone.

Fritz
Old 05-31-2007

I'll get the number this weekend and get it to ya, it isn't a 40' slip technically, they go 38' 43', 48' and you're allowed 3' over, so if he has a 40 footer 38 foot slip, it may not be good, but if it's a 43 foot slip then it's good

Hell, the way slips are around here, it's probably already booked to some wade with a 21' foot fishing boat