SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Perfect Size Used Boat

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mikehoyt 
#1 ·
I’ve come to this site because I’ve been told it’s the best place to get advice. My wife has decided that the time is right for me to have my own boat. Here is my problem. Any amount that I spend on a sailboat, I have to also put back into upgrades at home.

No problem. But this means that I have to keep my purchase below 20K. I’ve sailed aboard a lot of very large racing machines to know that I only want a small cursing boat. Small enough to single hand (motoring or sail) which I plan to do a lot of. I''m very much looking forward to enclosed heads and standing headroom, among other benefits of a "proper" cruising boat. It must also be small and stable enough to teach my kids to sail. I''ll be using the boat for weekending and coastal cruising from Baja to the Bay Area.

I’ve looked at several boats but would like options on the Catalina 27 and 30. The Newport 28 and 30. Or on any other boat you feel would be a better fit.

#2 ·
There are two Newport 28 and one 30 at our club (Barrachois Harbour Yacht Club). Check out the site at www.angelfire.com/ns/BarrachoisYachtClub/index.html . In the members listing A-L two of these three boats have owners emails listed.

The boats are Perigrine (N28), All Set (N28) and Nuada (N30 mark II ??).

I have been on board all three and there is definitely a lot of room and nice layouts on them. The 28 is not as speedy as other boats of similar size but these are nicely outfitted boats. Jeff H will probably have a lot of information about the sailing characteristics and construction qualities which should be a determining factor. I know I do like the interiors!

Not sure if these models are available under $20K.

Good luck! It is definitely addictive.

PS. If you start looking for a boat at $20K you will probably end up spending 25-30. Be careful.

Regards,

Mike Hoyt
Nova Scotia, CANADA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.