Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInIraq
CB - No worries - I'm fully aware of what I could have purchased. Both of those boats (the Sabre and Tartan) are gorgeous - but not what I need/want right now. I'm still in my 30's - YEARS away from retirement - and simply won't have the time to sail my boat much beyond the confines of the Chesapeake Bay for many years. What I want/need for now is a relatively large cockpit (I often sail with up to 8 work buddies after work), low-maintenance (meaning a new or very late-model boat) boat - and to be honest, I really like the lines of the new Bene series.

Years from now when I'm looking at heading down to the islands (or beyond), then I'll be looking at some of the more solidly-built boats (right now I think a Tartan 3700 would be perfect for me, but who knows what will come out between now and when I finally have time for that trip).

And Paul - I will definitely be keeping my "head up." As a helicopter pilot, if my head isn't "up" then my crew and I have got some problems! Thanks. :-)
Best of luck with the boat and I would echo CardiacPaul's remarks. A sincere thanks from me and my family for your sacrifices.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2008

adrondube is on a distinguished road
Brian,

Please keep me posted on your opinion of the Beneteau Oceanis 40. I'm not sure why some just don't like this boat. I love it! "Walmart veneer"? Please. I like it. I was all into the Jeanneau line, the 42 and 45 DS (love the interior of the 45), then discovered the Oceanis line. I understand the 43 has a little more room, but I actually like the big "swoop" window better on the 40 because it appears larger and makes the boat look more muscular than the 43. It definitely has it's own look versus the Jeanneau 45 DS. I have read that the build of the Oceanis line is not quite as rock solid and the First line. Then again, consider the price. I would be using this boat for much the same reasons that you stated, but would spend even more time on it. Have you seen the First 50? Wow! What a beautiful vessel. PRICEY. That and the First 45. Ultra "modern" below though. Love it or hate it. I prefer interiors with light wood myself versus dark. Dark is too serious and depressing. Light is airy and helps make the cabin feel well lit, especially with the raised deck in the Oceanis and Jeanneau SO DS line. Yeah, keep us informed on how the boat is. At 200k, that would be my budget as well. For me, it would be Jeanneau 42 DS versus Beneteau Oceanis 40 (the 45 DS is the "mo money" choice). Too bad we don't all have a half a mill to blow on the First 50, eh? Enjoy!

-Adron
Old 11-14-2010

BrianInIraq is on a distinguished road
Three Years Later...

Hate to revive an old thread, but since it was my own...

Have had my B40 for 2 years now and love her. Spent my first season cruising all over the Chesapeake Bay and now (Fall 2010) I'm sitting in Fort Lauderdale awaiting the seas to calm a bit before continuing south to Key West. I left Baltimore in early October, and it being my first trip down the ditch, I've been taking my time down the coast hitting Norfolk, Oriental, Wrightsville Beach, Beaufort (NC and SC), Charleston, Savannah, etc. It's been a great trip!

If anybody has any questions about the boat or the trip, feel free to drop me a line!

- Brian
S/V Retriever
Beneteau 40 #55
Old 11-14-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInIraq View Post
Hate to revive an old thread, but since it was my own...

Have had my B40 for 2 years now and love her. Spent my first season cruising all over the Chesapeake Bay and now (Fall 2010) I'm sitting in Fort Lauderdale awaiting the seas to calm a bit before continuing south to Key West. I left Baltimore in early October, and it being my first trip down the ditch, I've been taking my time down the coast hitting Norfolk, Oriental, Wrightsville Beach, Beaufort (NC and SC), Charleston, Savannah, etc. It's been a great trip!

If anybody has any questions about the boat or the trip, feel free to drop me a line!

- Brian
S/V Retriever
Beneteau 40 #55
Nice to hear from you.

This only proves that Beneteaus are great boats for what they are designed to do. They offer a great quality design (you can not like it, but I am talking about the quality of the design, not about style) inside and outside at a really unbeatable price and the quality is much better than many like to say. That's why they are the nļ1 in sales.

I would not have bought a Benetau, but thats just because my sailing program is not the same as yours (but I would not mind to have a 40ft First ).

Glad that your Benetau fits nicely in your sailing program and that you are satisfied with it.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-14-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Brian,

I too am glad to see you are enjoying the boat, and you kept your head where it should be! ON your shoulders!

I'm like Paulo tho, would prefer the 1st 40 over an Oceanus 40.......but hey, your boat I am sure is nice and does what you want it to do. It will do everything a T3700 will do to!

Marty
Old 01-11-2011

fbassi is on a distinguished road
So many questions...

Brian, can you send me a PM with your email? I would like to ask you some questions as I am considering the purchase of B40.
I cannot PM you because I just joined.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
fbassi,

You may need to do 3-5 posts, possibly 10 to send and receive pm's. You may need to do a post with a 1, then another with a 2 to get the number of posts needed.

marty