Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Buying boats is hard

Just a week ago I thought selling boats is hard. Last week my boat sold, and now I am looking for a new one. What a whopper.
So far 2 days - 8 boats, every single one is a total disaster - wet decks, blistered hulls, rusted engines, lots and lots of badly installed hardware with leaking holes through the deck. And lots of speakers, speakers everywhere! Why, oh why would anyone in their right mind make those giant holes in cockpit sides or cabin to install speakers? I even seen a subwoofer in a quarterberth of what used to be an ocean-going vessel. Am I the only person that actually rebeds hardware and epoxy-protects holes in the deck? Or do those that actually care never sell their boats?

So, here goes - if anyone knows of a decent sailing vessel (i.e. not in condition described above), *reasonably seaworthy*, 32-34 ft or thereabout, anywhere from 70s to 90s vintage (I probably can't afford boats less than 10 years old) send me a message. No need for expensive electronics, top-end rigging or hardware, etc. Just not willfully destroyed by its owners - that's all. I'll deal with the rest. I've got the cash ready. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
What area?
Old 06-02-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
I don't know what your budget or area is, but this looks like a well-cared for, seaworthy pocket cruiser.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=
Old 06-02-2007
Sea Slacker

Area is almost unimportant, I will travel wherever and bring the boat where I need to bring her. Atlantic coast of US preferred, but I'll go to Great Lakes etc, if needed. West coast might be a bit far.

Budget is flexible, and depends on condition. 40K (with budget left for outfitting/repairs), more if condition warrants (potentially significantly more)
Old 06-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
What are you looking to use her for? Day sails? Cruising? Weekending? Is draft a consideration?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2007
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
What are you looking to use her for? Day sails? Cruising? Weekending? Is draft a consideration?
Medium-term cruising, island hopping. However, if I have to chose between "more living space" and "more seaworthy", I'd rather go for the latter (that said, we need to fit a small family inside, but we aren't space-hungry ).
Draft under 6' is very much appreciated, as much of this well be east coast sailing and it is shallow here. Draft under 5' is ideal, but I can deal with a bit more.
Old 06-03-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
My general rule of thumb - the best boats go through private sales, not brokers. You can try to settle on five or six potential deigns/brands and then start checking out the Owners Association websites. A lot of them have Buy/Sell pages. It is often the case that the people who spend time on those sites, are a bit more concerned with maintenance and good seamanship than other boaters.
Old 06-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brak-

There's Pearson 36 for sale at my marina that looks to be in pretty good shape. The current owners are two guys, and one is getting out of sailing, so they need to sell the boat. If you want, I can dig up their contact info for you.

SD

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I would, of course, suggest the Ontario 32.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-03-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
This is sweet:
Bluewater Yacht Brokers (Wilmington, NC)