SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   I am looking at a Ingrid 38 what do you know (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/3318-i-am-looking-ingrid-38-what-do-you-know.html)

obiec 02-12-2002 06:51 PM

I am looking at a Ingrid 38 what do you know

Dose anybody have any input on a Ingrid 38 She is a nice double ender full keel 26,000 displacment 8,000 balist 11.4 beam Ketch. Please help if you can

kimberlite 02-12-2002 08:21 PM

is the displacenent of 26,000 correct?
eric

Jeff_H 02-13-2002 04:39 AM

Ingrids were an Atkins design from the 1930''s. Atkin really understood a lot about the Colin Archer types and had a wonderful ability to model yacht versons based on traditional working craft. The Ingrid is one of my favorite designs. They have been built and sold under all kinds of names and in a wide range of configurations. 26000 lbs sounds about right for one. The big problems with these boats were that they were designed for wooden construction. As it turns out, the wooden hulls were actually lighter than the glass hulls and so many of the glass boats are a little underballasted. The originals were pretty deep as well and so some of the knock offs are a bit shallower adding to this reduced stability. In their original form they had Ketch rigs that are the best of what a ketch rig should be. (Not my favorite rig as it gets interpretted on many boats)

Still and all these are really bullet proof go anywhere types of boats. (To me these are what a 38 foot traditional boat should be if they really wanted to live up to their reputation.)

Its not that they are perfect boats. They are quite slow by any modern standard. Because of thier double ends the interior and cockpit are a little small, and they tend to be a little wet. Still in all these are really neat boats if your goal is to really do some long distance voyaging and you really don''t care when you will arrive.

Jeff

manateee_gene 02-13-2002 04:59 AM

Jwff:The Ingrid is not one of the boats I''ve owned;That said,my father-in-law,who was an excellent shipwright and boat yard owner in
Portland,Or. built one in wood,using Port Orford cedar on steam-bent oak frames and
copper fastenings.We sailed it up the coast to Victoria B.C. and then left it in Port Townsend for about 5 years using it every time he or I could get away.It was built to spec''s and although under powered by modern
expectations it actually sailed quite well,in
any direction,except down wind,then the mizn.
was blanketed.In wood I would say they were about a 25% better boat than in Glass!

captain_kelly 02-13-2002 05:51 AM

I''ve been looking at Ingrids myself. Here''s a website with a lot of info about the Ingrids and their sister ship, the Alejuela 38s. The site is run by a guy who''s finishing off an Ingrid hull.... http://hood.hctc.com/~esteve/ ....There''s also a chapter about the Ingrids in Ferenc Mate''s book "Best Boats to Build or Buy" that tells how they are constructed.

Jeff_H 02-13-2002 09:15 AM

Gene,

Copper rivetted cedar on oak, it doesn''t get much better for these boats (except that a friend of mine built a cold molded port orford cedar version in the 1980''s). I think that we are in agreement that the wooden versions were probably better sailors although I suspect that 25% better is probably a bit on the high side.

Regards
Jeff

manateee_gene 02-13-2002 11:31 AM

Not so Jeff! When they build them in plastic
they always seem to change the run aft and that makes them dogs to sail compared to the real deal!!

Whitewings2003 12-30-2009 12:35 PM

I single handed my Ingrid 38 from Puget Sound to La Paz Mexico. I averaged 6.4 knots over the ground. Mine was an owner finished boat that did the south pacific. The factory finished boats (in my opinion) were designed to sell in the late 70's and 80's. They had to many berths and not enough living space. I used a monitor windvane and a autohelm 2000 for the tiller. The ingrid is not a marina queen and is dificult to get into a slip. You make your turn and then throw it into reverse and walk her around to line up with the slip. I single handed a lot.