Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007

Pumaman is on a distinguished road
Good day/weekender for North Carolina?

Hello,

I am new to this site and am enjoying reading the articles and forum posts. After years of sailing dinghies, I am interested in purchasing a boat to be used for daysailing and weekend trips.

I need a shallow-draft boat for the shoal waters of inshore North Carolina, particularly Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds and their associated rivers. I am used to sailing boats with centerboards, and imagine that this would be a good solution. Having started research into such boats, however, I am overwhelmed by the number of possibilities. Therefore, I am hoping that members of these forums might be able to help me narrow my choices.

In addition to shallow draft, other criteria I am interested in:

Room for up to 4 people for weekend cruises

Trailerable if possible (not an absolute necessity; I hope to moor the boat at a marina in Washington, NC)

Able to be sailed by one person (so that I can go out by myself when my wife doesn't want to)

I value stability over speed

Price Range: up to $6000; I don't mind an older boat or one that needs some work

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Pumaman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hmmm.. You've got several criteria which are going to be difficult to meet in a boat that is going to be in your price range.

Possible boats include:

C&C 24, draft 4'
Bristol 24, draft 3.5'
Columbia Contender 24, draft 3.25'
O'Day 240, draft 2.7'
S2 7.2, draft 4'
Catalina 25, draft 4'
Hunter 25 Cherubini, draft 4'

Most of these are not trailerables though, and I doubt that any of them would be very comfortable for a weekend with four adults... since berths are rather limited in this size of boat. However, most will be fine for daysailing with four people. Some of the Catalinas, 22 and 25 foot version were designed as trailerables.

What would probably be ideal for you is an O'Day 25 centerboard model, like this >one. Has a draft of 2.3' with the CB up and 6' with it down, and sleeps five.

I also like the Pearson Ariel, Commander and Tritons... but they're not trailerable generally.

Another possibility, though one I'm hesistant to recommend are the MacGregors, since they're basically motorboats that have the ability to sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2007

Sailingdog

Thanks for your thoughts. I am really looking for an older used boat, hence the $6000 range. I don't expect to get anything new or recent for this price. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I appreciate your advice,

Pumaman
Old 06-03-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Check this out: eBay Motors: Ericson Cruiser (item 290123861034 end time Jun-10-07 13:10:27 PDT)
Old 06-03-2007

That is a sweet looking interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990
Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 06-03-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
You seem to know what is important to you; that's very good, and it seems, somewhat rare. There are a couple of boats that come to mind immediately: the Catalina 22 or 25, and the Oday 23 and 25. I think you will find that all four were well made, very popular boats, and all should be available in your area. The Catalina 22 remains the most popular production sailboat ever. You should be able to get one in good condition for $6000. The Catalina 25 will probably cost more than $6000, unless you find one that needs some TLC. A couple of things to keep in mind: the Catalina's were both made in swing keel and fin keel models. The Catalina swing keel isn't really a centerboard; the swinging part contains the ballast for the boat, and raising or lowering the keel requires cranking a handle in the cabin. A plus for the Catalina: the pop top cabin really opens things up, both on the 22 and the 25. It really makes the boat cruisable. The Oday's use a keel/centerboard system. the ballast for the boat is encapsulated within a stub keel. The centerboard swings down from a slot in the keel. The centerboard is controlled by a single pendent line run from the cockpit. No cranks or block and tackle necessary.

I did the same evaluation you are doing now, and wound up buying an Oday 23. I much prefer the keel/centerboard arrangement, and the Admiral really liked the fact that the head is behind a real door, not a curtain in the middle of the cabin. I must admit that I was tempted by a Catalina 25, however it was the fin keel model. I really didn't want all of the boat's ballast swinging around.

I've never regretted my choice; be honest with yourself as to how you will be sailing, and your choice should be easier. Daysailing, with only an occasional overnighter? Go with the 22/23; the cockpit is the same size as the 25, and you won't be paying for accomodations you never use. Really want to cruise? Pay a little more and buy the 25. You will be happy with either and Oday or a Catalina.
Old 06-03-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Or this: eBay Motors: MACGREGOR 25 sailboat , motor & trailer (item 300116333309 end time Jun-05-07 14:38:47 PDT)
Old 06-03-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

I have a 1971 Morgan 25. If this is the same, it has a full keel with 2'9" draft,
then a centerboard that comes down out of the keel making the draft 6'6".
Nice tough, well built old boats.
25ft Sailboat!! **Everything you need** Buy Today, Sail Tomorrow
Old 06-03-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Well, the price is right!
1969 Bristol 27 sailboat
Old 06-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumaman
Thanks for your thoughts. I am really looking for an older used boat, hence the $6000 range. I don't expect to get anything new or recent for this price. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I appreciate your advice,

Pumaman
Umm... none of the boats I've mentioned are new or all that recent. Most are from the 1970s and 1980s. Even the Catalinas I mentioned aren't all that new. Any boats new, or even recent would cost five or six times your budget.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.