SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Catalina 27 or 30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/3327-catalina-27-30-a.html)

xavier6162 02-13-2002 11:26 AM

Catalina 27 or 30

Can anyone tell me about the differences in crusing and maintance between a Catalina 27 and a Catalina 30. What are the differences in sailing abilities?

MLynch357 03-01-2002 07:36 AM

Catalina 27 or 30

I own a Catlina 30 and used to own a Cal 27 and have sailed on numerous Catlaina 27s. Maintenance is the same between the two. For cruising, you''ll find that the layout is essentially the same, but the 30 has a lot more general room. You really can have a half dozen people on the boat for a weekend and everyone will have room to actually stand at the same time. It''s got something which is rare in boats, which is open space. The 27 is the same, but simply lacks some of the open space, which makes it more difficult to have several people on board for a weekend comfortably. The boats are similar sailing, except that the longer waterline makes the 30 a little less prone to "hobby-horsing" in a steep chop.

Hope that helps,

-Matt.

moorpheus 03-02-2002 04:40 PM

Catalina 27 or 30

It depends also on how you plan to sail. If you plan to solo sail, a 27 with a tiller is super. I used to sail all over by myself with cat, and having a tiller and an autotiller was the way to go.

Lines lead back to the cockpit not to the wheel. And it is just easier to get around the boat solo sailing with a tiller.

Having said that, if I planned to sail with a mate or a crew all the time, or with a family, the wheel would be preferable and the room in a 30 is much, much more.

But a 27 is quite roomy too. Depends what you want and what your personal preferences are.

Where will you be sailing it?
moorpheus@yahoo.com

mcfluff 03-05-2002 06:48 PM

Catalina 27 or 30

I have a 1985 Catalina 30 For Sale in Florida. It is priced to sell for $23000.00.

Send me your e-mail address for specs and photos Deborahlynnmartin@hotmail.com or please call (561) 301 -7885

The boat is in great condition!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Peterson 04-21-2002 09:17 AM

Catalina 27 or 30

I started out looking for a 27 and ended up with a 30. Have been very glad I did. If you plan to spend a lot of time onboard or spending nights at the slip it offers a lot of advantages and I believe resale is a lot better. Have fun

pkrupela 05-31-2002 11:11 PM

Catalina 27 or 30

I have to echo the sentiments of Greg Peterson. I also had it in my mind to buy a C27 but after seeing just how much more room there was on a C30 the decision was easy. In So. Cal., where I sail, the C30 is probably the most popular boat around in its class and has excellent resale value. There are good reasons for that too. I''m VERY happy with mine.

MikeMoss 06-04-2002 04:53 AM

Catalina 27 or 30

The Catalina 27 is a "starter boat" and few keep them long. But there is a big difference in price. If you have the money for the 30 then buy it as the 27 will fail to do the job of comfortable cruising.

I don''t know where someone got the idea that a tiller is better for single handing. A tiller with a AP and a wheel without sure.

BigO 07-24-2002 06:10 AM

Catalina 27 or 30

Is either a Catalina 27 or 30 suitable for cruising across Lake Michigan (i.e. not only for coastal use)?

Should one consider a better-built boat than a Catalina for crossing Lake Michigan?

Thanks.

Sailormon6 07-24-2002 02:30 PM

Catalina 27 or 30

It all depends on how lucky you feel. The C-25 and C-30, properly maintained, are about as tough as any coastal cruiser of similar size, and a skillful sailor could probably cope with most Lake Michigan storms, but they are not blue water boats designed to withstand survival storm conditions, and most sailors are not as prepared to cope with those conditions as they think they are. In the 1979 Fastnet tragedy, experienced ocean racing sailors abandoned sound 50-60 foot boats and took to inflatable life rafts, apparently because they panicked.

Before you get into that situation, you should be brutally honest in assessing the suitability of your boat and your own ability.

I have owned two Catalinas, and loved them, but expecting any coastal cruiser to withstand severe storm conditions is like jumping out of an airplane using a parachute made of fabric that is too flimsy. Maybe it will work, but then again, maybe it won''t.