Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
You can do it physically and others have - search seagypsy.
Any boat will do to start probably preferably a dinghy or similar. Then when you know some basics, do a women only course and crew on a few bigger boats. Many people want crew. Do the ASA courses and in a year or so look for your own boat. Up to about 36 is ok. A big dog like that takes at least as much space as another person.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The dog is going to be a MAJOR pain both from a care and a customs/immigation standpoint. Other than that...what you propose to do is quite do-able if you take it step by step. Tempermentally you have the right attitude to succeed!
Read Donna Lange's log of her circumnavigation just completed on a 28 ft boat for inspiration! Here's her site... Donna Lange the Musician, the Sailor
Old 06-05-2007
WAFI

astraeus is on a distinguished road
Don't let the nay-sayers step on your dreams, a good quote from a recent movie stated that people will try to tell you that you can't do something because they can't.

Strength or gender have no bearing on sailing ability and seamanship.

I agree with the members recommending reading and leasons, without respect for the ocean you will end up a statistic.

Good luck and fair winds

Jason
S/V Astraeus
Old 06-05-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Nay-sayers, did I miss something ?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2007

JustMeUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99
Nay-sayers, did I miss something ?
Perhaps they meant the person who told me I was out of my cotton-picking mind?

The dog may be a pain but no dog-no cruising. I will just have to deal with it. I have worked with animals for years and years and a little doggy poo doesn't scare me. I can train the dog to potty on a plastic something or other that can be easily cleaned. I have exported several dogs to Rabies free countries and know the procedures. I have the capabilities here to quarantine to the satisfaction of these governments. Not a big deal for the most part. My main concern was once I left BVI (my favorite place in the Caribbean) my ability to reentry. I would definitely have to figure that out.

Perhaps I would even put the boat up for the hurricane season in Virgin Islands, come back to the US for 6 months then head back down there. Do many people do that?
Old 06-05-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Your plan sounds totally logical and achievable to me. The dog will be a bit of an issue, but if he doesn't get seasick then you'll be able to rig up some kind of ramp thing to let him get in and out of the cabin.

I would advise against getting anything bigger than 30 feet to single-hand. There is more than enough space on 30 feet for one or two people to live comfortably, and the boat is large enough that it won't bob around too much in the waves.

Good Luck and keep posting to let us know about your progress...
Old 06-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC
I have the capabilities here to quarantine to the satisfaction of these governments. Not a big deal for the most part. My main concern was once I left BVI (my favorite place in the Caribbean) my ability to reentry. I would definitely have to figure that out.

Perhaps I would even put the boat up for the hurricane season in Virgin Islands, come back to the US for 6 months then head back down there. Do many people do that?
Lots of people leave their boats in the Caribe for hurricane season. There are a couple of BVI places (Nanny Cay and Virgin Gorda YY) which have hurricane ready storage which provides no guarantees but is better than just standard on the hard storage. Most boats head down to Grenada or Trinidad where storage is cheaper and hurricanes are fewer or non-existent.

You can get the dog off the boat by sailing down the "Thorny Path" in not more than 24 hour passages. Check out Bruce Van Sants Gentleman's Guide to Passages South for a complete description of this route.

May I also suggest the Bahamas as an easy first foreign destinaton. They are wonderful to cruise and dog friendly with water and reefs that are BETTER than the BVI's...just not the same beautiful land vistas!
Old 06-05-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
What a difference a day makes

Sorry to hijack, but I just wanted to interject this thought. When I first glanced over your thread I thought, "Oh no, another newbie with a dog and a dream! She is going to get hammered." You may have missed that thread a while back(dog lady). But then I read the first couple of replies and re-read your post. I realized that there was quite a difference between you and the other poster. Plain and simple, you are nice. You admit your short comings and that you don't know everything, and there is a sense of underlying confidence and common sense about you. You will do fine. Take lessons, learn from friends, race on other's boats for experience. Have fun!
Best
PS. If you HAVE lost your mind, it means we are all crazy too. So, in that case, I would disregard any advice you get here.

Look at this:
SailCharbonneau.com - Sailing with Pets
and this(although she is not alone) I have emailed her and she replies rather quickly. Good inspiration.
WetSand.com > The Green Room > Liz Clark Swell Voyage

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 06-05-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
the "your out of your cotton pickin mind coments only last a little while then the beauty of the idea starts to sink in and you will hear that comment less and less.
http://noonsite.com/
The above link will be a good start for information on customs and imagration for you and your dog alot of the countries in the Caribbean require that dogs stay on board.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 06-05-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
If you've been reading this site for the past few weeks, I'm sure you've noticed that not too many of us are wrapped too tight! Must be a sailor thing.