LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
This lady seems to have figured out how Dogs Boating, Sailing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
My advise would be that, after you are done with sailing lessons, you endeavor to crew as much as possible. Failing that, I would purchase a smaller boat, $2000-$3000, and sail the daylights out of it.

In the meantime, I'd be on the lookout for a Flicka. This would, of course, mean that there will be one less out there for sale when I finally get the money around to buy mine.(g) A Flicka is only twenty feet in length but is capable of taking you anywhere. It will also be much easier to singlehand than a larger boat. It doesn't hurt that it is a beautiful boat. Some say cute, but I've never thought the word applied to the women or boats I lust after.

As far as the dogs go. Well. You might want to pull up the bull-terrier thread. There was actually some good advise in it before the woman went ballistic. You'll no doubt notice the difference in responses to your query, versus the "dog lady's". Some regard it as an epic moment in sailnet history, others, "a new low".(g)

On the physical side it'll just be the usual. There will be times when you'll wish you had the extra upper body strength, but not that often. And, in typical female fashion, you'll probably plan ahead better than us guys, and not have to rely on strength alone.(g)

Good luck. stay in touch. Often, people come by and we never hear from them again-wondering how they came out and all.
Old 06-05-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Are you near Lake Norman?
Old 06-05-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I bought my boat, a 1986 O'day 35, from a woman who used to single hand it all over the Newport, RI area. She would sail it from Newport to Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and other places.

She is also a licensed captain, and a critical care nurse. She was about 5' 4" and maybe 120 lbs.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
I'd be on the lookout for a Flicka.
one just slipped next to me, what a sweet little boat, has full standing headroom and an enclosed head(not sure what year model) I told him to move it cuz it makes my boat look like crap sitting next to mine. perfect for a single person...oh yeah, and a dog

edit: heres a sweet one close to your cruising area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Last edited by uspirate; 06-06-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2007

JustMeUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990
Are you near Lake Norman?
No, I am in Raleigh.

Thanks for all the encouraging replies and pm's. I am quite committed to it, I just feel as though I "have to"... LOL I have no fear of being off on my own, I took off for Europe when I was just 18 by myself and I made my way about ok. Since then I have traveled all over the world, many 3rd world countries as a woman alone and have always met nice helpful folks along the way. I haven't traveled as much in recent years, work has been more demanding but I have always been a traveler. I just had never been on a sailboat and something about it just seemed right and something I must do

I haven't had time to read the other dog tread yet but I will. As far as the dog stuff goes, I deal with dog owners on a daily basis and some of them are just flat out fruitcakes so I am not surprised by their actions usually. I swim my dog a lot, it is great low impact exercise so I am pretty sure that he would love boat life. He is a medium size GSD, only about 75 pounds so he is not too huge. I do realize that having a dog on a boat will be Inconvenient and will even limit my choices of places to visit but it will be the price to pay for the company of my best bud. so be it

Again, thanks and I will indeed keep you guys posted on my progress and no doubt will have tons of questions to throw out at you all.
Old 06-06-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Go for it!
And be prepared, your going to get lots of propositions from the males around here that have the same dream. Not many women out there that share your enthusiasm. Were all searching for them or have searched for them. They are few and far between.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-06-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
sailortjk1 makes a valid point. In fact, I would consider abandoning your dream, as you're going to start getting thousands of PMs from a bunch of really smelly, scurvy-riddled sailors with bad teeth. Dreams die hard, but I would urge you to give up immediately. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
Sailhog
Old 06-06-2007

JustMeUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
Go for it!
And be prepared, your going to get lots of propositions from the males around here that have the same dream. Not many women out there that share your enthusiasm. Were all searching for them or have searched for them. They are few and far between.
One of the reasons I posted in my very first post that I wanted to go alone so I don't go giving anyone the wrong idea... Seriously, I have not gotten any propositions, just lots of helpful and knowledgeable advice which I sincerely appreciate.

I just emailed a local sailing school to try to sign up for a basic keelboating course so I am on my way!!
Old 06-06-2007

GentleBreeze is on a distinguished road
Don't post here often but wanted to add a couple of suggestions. If you "google" on cruising with pets you will get lots of hits on that subject well worth reading.
Also look for "A Womans Guide to Sailing" by Doris Colgate and "The Cruising Womans Advisor" by Diana Jessie.
Hope this helps....