Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007

JustMeUC is on a distinguished road
SEMIJim, I followed your posts from the time you started looking at boats, thru your sailing classes all the way to getting your boat back home, I am the one who is envious!! I don't have a boat yet!! I've only sailed ONCE!! As far as the $$$ stuff goes, the financials to do this comes at the very heavy price of losing loved ones. I would rather have the people back in my life than the money. I was just originally trying to say that the money part of the equation is there for me to be able to make it possible, just that the knowledge is lacking on my part. I am now trying to work really hard to gain the knowledge to be able to do this thing that I want so badly now!!

JamesLee, I think that would be a fine idea... LOL but what about the flushing of said toilet? LOL nah, I'll stick to training him on a plastic pan when the time comes. It can be dumped over the side of the boat and clean in about 30 seconds. Simply as pie.

I said I would update the board as things progressed, so here goes. I had to push back my ASA101 due to my mom's illness and my class is now the second of September.

BUT in the meantime, I am very excited to say that I have been invited out to sail this coming up weekend with someone. I am VERY excited about it and trying not to bug the person too much about what to bring or what not, so perhaps some nice person on this board can help me out by telling me what they would suggest I show up with in hand to be a welcome guest? Or perhaps even what NOT to show up with?

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Food easy to eat and requires no refrigeration, ( depending on the boat), gloves to pull lines, seasickness pills, shoes that won't mark up the boat, layered clothing and read this article Boat Etiquette

A great attitude always helps
Old 08-14-2007

TAK is on a distinguished road
I sail a 40 foot boat w/ a very active Choc Lab. I have to tell you just on the Chesapeake Bay its a challenge with the heat and moving the dog on and off.. I would at least think a larger boat (you are thinking 22 feet??) and how you are going to keep your dog cool, hydrated and happy.
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 08-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
I sail a 40 foot boat w/ a very active Choc Lab. I have to tell you just on the Chesapeake Bay its a challenge with the heat and moving the dog on and off.. I would at least think a larger boat (you are thinking 22 feet??) and how you are going to keep your dog cool, hydrated and happy.
ugghhh, not the dogs stuff again.... wish I had never posted that I was gonna be taking my daggone dog!!! LOL

Once I buy my boat for cruising I am looking at more like 30' boat. In fact, the longer I think about it, I may just go straight to that.

OK, seriously, how am I going to keep him cool, hydrated and happy? Heck, how am I going to keep myself cool, hydrated and happy??? Sometimes having a dog will be a royal pain in the butt but so are lots of other things worth having in life. Honestly, If I find that the dog is really unhappy, then I sell the boat and move back to land, or if I really get hooked on cruising and don't want to sell the boat then I could always place him with my dad or sister.

Now, back to my other question.... any other suggestions on being a good boat guest????????
Old 08-14-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Now, back to my other question.... any other suggestions on being a good boat guest????????
The Sergeant gave you some good advice.
Soft sole shoes that don't mark the deck.
Clothes for all types of weather. Hot and Cold; Sunny and Rainy.
A lightweight jacket depending on what climate you live in.
Some snacks would be nice. Maybe a few cold beverages.

Are you spending the night on board?
For overnighting; a book or magazine to read for entertainment.
Your toothbrush, deodorant, clean underwear, and another change of clothes.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-14-2007

I have purchased two pair of shoes suitable for sailing, I'll take both pairs see which one I like best.

It is 101 today here, I doubt I will need any cold weather clothing and if it rains well then I will just be happy as pie to be wet and hopefully a little cooler.

Snacks, check, soda/water/beer check.

No, I am going to be going for the day only. If I don't irritate the person too much perhaps they will invite me back for a longer sail sometime and I'll bring my overnight bag with all that entails. Maybe I 'll bring a change of clothes anyway in case I do get wet... Thanks!
Old 08-14-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
I have purchased two pair of shoes suitable for sailing, I'll take both pairs see which one I like best.

It is 101 today here, I doubt I will need any cold weather clothing and if it rains well then I will just be happy as pie to be wet and hopefully a little cooler.

Snacks, check, soda/water/beer check.

No, I am going to be going for the day only. If I don't irritate the person too much perhaps they will invite me back for a longer sail sometime and I'll bring my overnight bag with all that entails. Maybe I 'll bring a change of clothes anyway in case I do get wet... Thanks!
P.S. One hand for the boat, and one hand for whatever else you are doing, nothing can ruin a sailing day more than having a guest bounce around the cockpit like a pinball, or worse going for an impromptu swim.

Having said that I am sure you will be fine, and be a pest. I don't know a sailor alive that does not love to share their knowledge
Old 08-15-2007

TAK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
ugghhh, not the dogs stuff again.... wish I had never posted that I was gonna be taking my daggone dog!!! LOL

Once I buy my boat for cruising I am looking at more like 30' boat. In fact, the longer I think about it, I may just go straight to that.

OK, seriously, how am I going to keep him cool, hydrated and happy? Heck, how am I going to keep myself cool, hydrated and happy??? Sometimes having a dog will be a royal pain in the butt but so are lots of other things worth having in life. Honestly, If I find that the dog is really unhappy, then I sell the boat and move back to land, or if I really get hooked on cruising and don't want to sell the boat then I could always place him with my dad or sister.

Sorry to dog you on the topic, I was sharing my own fustrations..

As to being a good guest.. on top of the other comments.. bring good beer that the captain likes (do not take any left overs home..) and offer to help/learn.
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 08-16-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
For a day sail, less is more. Don't show up with a huge duffel that's hard to stow. So may I suggest that you just bring along a single pair of deck shoes? You can try the second pair when you get invited back. Yes, a change of clothes is a good idea, but consider leaving it in your car at the marina, as a "just in case." Good food, on the other hand, is always appreciated -- but let the owner know ahead what you plan to bring so he/she does not have to procure those provisions.

One way to endear yourself to the owner is to offer to arrive early if they need help with any boat chores. At the end of the day's sail, offer to help wash the deck or with some other obvious chore, like sail covers etc.

When I was younger and boatless, I would offer to meet boat-owning friends at the marina for a day of projects, with no sailing. During winter lay-up there are usually loads of projects and cleaning that go quicker with a second pair of hands. A few trips to the boatyard is a sure way to be first on the call-list when the owner needs crew after spring commissioning.
Old 08-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
All good advice, though the food, should read food and drink...since bringing beverages is often appreciated, even if they're non-alcoholic beverages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
For a day sail, less is more. Don't show up with a huge duffel that's hard to stow. So may I suggest that you just bring along a single pair of deck shoes? You can try the second pair when you get invited back. Yes, a change of clothes is a good idea, but consider leaving it in your car at the marina, as a "just in case." Good food, on the other hand, is always appreciated -- but let the owner know ahead what you plan to bring so he/she does not have to procure those provisions.

One way to endear yourself to the owner is to offer to arrive early if they need help with any boat chores. At the end of the day's sail, offer to help wash the deck or with some other obvious chore, like sail covers etc.

When I was younger and boatless, I would offer to meet boat-owning friends at the marina for a day of projects, with no sailing. During winter lay-up there are usually loads of projects and cleaning that go quicker with a second pair of hands. A few trips to the boatyard is a sure way to be first on the call-list when the owner needs crew after spring commissioning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.