Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007

CBinVA is on a distinguished road
Suntan lotion, sunglasses and a hat that will stay on your head (if you are expecting a goodly amount of wind, you may want to invest in a hat leash, mine is always blowing off).

Carrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
Asking people here if the right thing to do is go sailing is like asking the lunatics at the insane asylum if they'd like another cup of tea with their Lithium.

Do it. Follow whatever advice appeals to you, there's plenty of it already in this thread. Read a lot. You sound like you have the right temperament and all it really takes is the desire.

More tea anyone?
Old 08-19-2007

GREGGWARREN is an unknown quantity at this point
hey cotton picker I got the same feelin I got to go sailin I,m in commerce ga about 3hrs from water lookin for boat slip then boat but I,m gonna do it hopefully this winter when boats are cheaper I,m a surveyor let me know if i can help.
Old 08-19-2007

pdxgrebe is on a distinguished road
Hey I don't see how there is any woman specific questions involved in going cruising, but I found myself in a simular situation a few years back, altho I inherited only half as much as you, and so have had to figure out the how to get the dream afloat with out spending a lot of money. At the boat yard where I worked on the run down boat I bought, I met a guy that also inherited some money which he use to have a aluminum boat designed, and welded up in a shop in Port Townsend. He then took the boat to a yard to have the inerior built, where they spent up the rest of the inheritance, but never finished the work. Now that boat is just setting on the hard. He said that one can have an inheritance or a sailboat, but not both. I should also tell about the two women that I met who had built boats with their husbands on which to go cruising. Both thier boat made it to La Paz but neither of the marriages did. These women worked on their boats before I made it to the yard, but all the guys in the yard that were there at the time, said that the women were much better boatwrights and sailor than their partners.
As for my own experience - I took five years and got the boat back on the water last March. All that is left before begining of the cruise is getting the wind vane, the solar panels and the electronics. Up until now I was able to pay for the boat only one gallon of resin at a time, and not have to spend down the inheritance very much, but the next part of the out fitting of the boat will take much larger chunks of money.
There is also the part of cutting the ties to land and casting off the dock lines which is the hardest part of the whole under taking. There is finally a related issue about whether going alone or trying to find someone to go with you. I had thought that I prefered going solo, but am now that the boat is almost ready, and I'm thinking that I need crew.

Good luck on your dream. I think learning to sail on a smaller boat is not only funner but teaches skills that harder to master on the keel boat. Also buying the cruising boat only just before heading out is the best advise that I have.
RC
Old 08-20-2007

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
Sounds like you have a rational plan. Go for it!!
Old 08-20-2007

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
AS far as being invited aboard as crew, wear hot weather clothes, boat shoes with soft white soles and carry foulie rain gear. Keep a boat knife in your pocket, fingerless gloves help soft hands survive. If you bring anything aboard bring it in soft bags that are easily jammed into lockers, not hard sided coolers or suitcases.

Etiquette - handle binoculars and winch handles extremely carefully. NEVER set them down on deck. Always set them back where you found them. Nothing ends a nice day like dropping a $500 set of binoculars over the side.

Volunteer for every dirty job. Fix sandwiches, swab decks, coil lines, haul up the anchor, etc. I used to help paint the boats bottom every spring. That guaranteed me a couple of days of sailing. Buy lunch. Tell the skipper that he made the boat payment so you can buy lunch. Guarantees a re-invite every time.

Be careful with actual sailing things, let the skipper tell you how he likes things done, even though you may know how. Every skipper does the same things differentlty.

Have a good time.
Old 03-03-2008

cancunblue is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I'm new to this site as a member, but have been reading the forums for a while and am excited that there are more women cropping up with similar plans of cruising, even alone!
I have a dog too, an english cocker spaniel, I haven't worked out the details on how thats going to work, but others have, and so will I. A good read and well rounded book on cruising is The Cruising Life...A commonsense Guide for the Would-Be Voyager by Jim Trefethen.
I have a career, two homes, etc., but my spirit is already out there cruising. I've even announced to my closest friends and family that I am no longer buying anything that won't fit on my sailboat. I've decided not to purchase one until I am ready to shove off for good, and if you read the book, you'll understand why.
Anyway, much success to you and a big HI Five to seeing more of us out there!
Old 03-03-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Good luck.
At least you have a plan and are approaching it sanely.
Saildog, being a robo typer has already given you a load of good advice and directions on where to get more.

You'll be fine, one step at a time.

See ya in the BVI, we pass thru at least once a year - keep Sailnet up to date on your adventures

Chuckles
Old 03-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
cancunblue-

Welcome to sailnet and I would highly recommend you read this post to get the most out of your time here on sailnet.

I'd also strongly advise getting the boat at least three-to-six months prior to your "drop-dead" leave by date. This is so you can familiarize yourself with the boat, and get some actual sailing experience in on the boat. It will also give you a chance to re-fit, modify, repair and customize the boat to suit your particular needs. Boats are not like cars, where they are "ready to go, one-size fits all". They are very highly personalized vessels. I also would highly recommend that you get as much sailing time in as you can prior to leaving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2008

cancunblue is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sailingdog,
I appreciate the advise you give, and the time you take to give it. My feet are on land for now, but my heart is already out there with ya! Be Safe, Enjoy, and I will see you guys out there sooner than later.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.