Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Survey Cost - take 2

What is the lowest price per ft you have seen for a survey in Maryland (general Annapolis vicinity) in the recent time? I am looking for the cheaper survey option that $22/ft that I've been quoted by some bigger names
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. A survey isn't something I'd trust to the lowest bidder.
Old 06-11-2007
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteele65
Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. A survey isn't something I'd trust to the lowest bidder.
That is fine with me. In this case I would definitely prefer a lowest bidder (especially since I hired the highest bidders in the past and can't say they were worth the money all the time ). If the person is a member of either SAMS or NAMS - that is all I need. So, any pointers would be very much appreciated.
Old 06-11-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
day-um, I have to raise my prices.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 06-11-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Brak,
I had the pleasure of having 2 1/2 surveys done in Annapolis last Fall! (the 2nd boat I declined after the land survey). I bought the 3rd boat. They were all done by the same surveyer. If I remember right he charged me $20/ft for the 1st one and less for each subsequent one. Not that you want to be in that situation, but $20/22 seems to be the going rate in Annapolis and maybe you can negotiate a better rate if you have to do another one. It does happen. To me getting a very good surveyer is worth the money, you can pay dearly later for a cheaper but poor survey. Good luck.
Tom Shannon
Old 06-11-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
I was quoted 20/foot in New Jersey... and 22/foot in Tennesse and North Carolina. Our surveys were VERY thorough though and so i didn't mind paying the price. Plus the comment was made before that a survey usually pays for itself in the end. Our FULL survey and sea trial cost $600 (27 footer) but after further negotiation we got the price down another grand... so free survey plus another 400 towards repairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2007
Sea Slacker

Well, looks like I am stuck with that rate

I am pretty good at surveying my own boats - other than what is under water and can't be seen at this time, I doubt surveyors will find much that I don't know of. That said, I have to get a survey for insurance purposes.

Incidentally, there are still cheap places out there - down in western Florida/Alabama I was quoted $14 and even $12/ft for a survey
Old 06-11-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
my surveyor charged by the hour, his comment was that he didn't like charging for the foot, because then the owners of new and well maintained boats got dinged, while the crappy boats that took longer to survey got a bargain.

I'm not sure I'd use him again since my friend found a better surveyor for cheaper, but he did a decent job.
Old 06-11-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
I was kinda shocked by the 22/foot price actually. I know you get what you pay for but DAMN... does that survey come with a 24k gold keel?

Quote:
I am pretty good at surveying my own boats - other than what is under water and can't be seen at this time, I doubt surveyors will find much that I don't know of. That said, I have to get a survey for insurance purposes.
That's where i really needed the professional opinion because although i know a lot about what to look for... i don't know jack about diesel engines. The survey was kinda like a crash course on the Universal M12 for me. Completely worth it.

Last edited by Joel73; 06-11-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2007
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73
That's where i really needed the professional opinion because although i know a lot about what to look for... i don't kow jack about diesel engines. The survey was kinda like a crash course on the Universal M12 for me. Completely worth it.
Most surveyors I dealt with did not know much about engines and, in fact, specifically exclude engine from the survey other than a superficial overview. I will have a seatrial on this boat anyway, so I will get a chance to check the engine.

So, noone had any luck with better survey rates around these parts?