Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2002

HFD2222 is on a distinguished road
25 catalina

I am trying to find out some information on 25 catalina. The boat has a 10hp inboard and a wing keel. The yacht broker is telling me that this is a rare boat with that combination. She is in great shape and the only thing that I think it will need is a bottom job. I plan to spend the time and money for a quick haul out to check out the bottom. The price of the boat is 8000.00. Do you think that it a good price for a 1988 model. I have never sailed before and everything that I have read on sailnet is to start with something small. Is this small enough or do i need to start smaller.
I only have 4 short years to retirment and I would love to live aboard a 36 or 38 then. Thanks ahead of time for any information someone might give me.
hfd2222
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
25 catalina

I think that you have the right idea about starting small. I also think that you are right to buy a commodity boat by which I mean a boat that is popular enough to be easy to re-sell and which is known quantity and reasonably inexpensive.

Now for the bad news, some boats lend themselves to wing keels offering performance close to the fin keel version. The Catalina 25 isn''t one of them. I would be concerned that a wing keel version would be more difficult to sell than either the normal fin keel or the keel/centerboard version.

$8,000 is not a bad asking price. I would think that you should end up some where in the low $7K range.

I strongly suggest that you have the boat surveyed by a SAMS or NAMS certified marine surveyor. If you were an very experienced sailor you might be able to do your own survey but even then I would probably suggest getting a professional marine survey.

You can expect to find some ''issues'' with any boat this age but espcially a ''value oriented'' boat like the Catalina. A combination of some of the following items can really be expensive to correct:

∑ Sails, chainplates, mast step and associated suporting structure, standing and running rigging that are approcaching or past their useful lifespan,
∑ an engine that is in need of rebuild,
∑ worn out or damaged, galley, and head hardware,
∑ electronics that are non operational, or in need of updating,
∑ electrical and plumbing systems that need repairs, upgrades to modern standards or replacement.
∑ Blister, fatigue, rudder, bulkhead to hull connections, hull deck joint or deck coring problems
∑ Keel bolt problems.
∑ And perhaps a whole range of aesthetic or minor structural issues.

In any event while this is not a bad first boat, I would suggest that you try to find a fin keel version. Also some of the Cat 25''s had wheel steering. You would be far better off learning to sail on a boat with a tiller.

Regards
Jeff

Old 02-19-2002

HFD2222 is on a distinguished road
25 catalina

JEFF,
YOU ARE THE ONE PERSON ON THIS WEB I NEEDED A REPONSE FROM. I TRY TO READ ALL OF YOUR REPONSES TO OTHER SAILORS QUESTIONS. I THINK THAT YOU HAVE HELPED A LOT OF US NOT TO MAKE THE WRONG DECISION. I THINK THAT I WILL PASS THIS BOAT ON YOUR ADVICE AND LOOK FOR A FIN KEEL. THIS IS EXACTLY THE INFORMATION THAT I NEEDED. WHEN I NARROW THE SEARCH DOWN AGAIN I WILL PUT THAT ON THE SITE ALSO. HOPEFULLY YOU MAY BE ABLE TO RESPOND AGAIN. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU GOOD SAILORS OUT THEIR FOR TAKING CARE OF US THAT DO NOT KNOW HAS MUCH YET.
JOHN