Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Boat Prices

Incredible.

I happened to speak with the dealer I bought our boat from. The price of new boats has absolutely gone through the roof!!!! I was shocked. A Catalina 350 will very likely cost you over 200k - easy. The base price, base price alone on a 400 is over 225, and there is a price increase on the way. That 225 does not even include shipping (IIRC), which is out of this world. THat 225 is stripped - no ac, cockpit cushions, canvas, electronics, inmast furling (should you want it), NOTHING! That is the price of the hull, basically.

Bad news for anyone buying a tub today, I guess.

Just thought I would share. Incredible. A well equipped 400 will likely cost you 300k - or very close to.

I can only assume other manufacturers are facing the same problems???

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Why the sudden hike? Price of petroleum? Or are they not having any trouble moving them at those numbers?
Old 06-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Yes, it is the petroleum.

As far as moving them... I do not have a clue. However, I will say that my dealer is VERY busy.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-15-2007

I saw a 2001 C-380 for sale for $125,000 a month ago in Charleston. Looked like it had been lightly but frequently used, and very well taken care of. It sold pretty quickly. I was wondering if there will be upward price pressure in the used boat market.
Old 06-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

No doubt there will be... though it has not hit the used market that hard yet. Still, I just got another letter in the mail (from a broker in Ft. Lauderdale) wanting to purchase my boat for a buyer. Thus, the interest is picking up. I have been told used boat prices are holding their own, but my guess is that they will escalate with the new boats somewhat (though not at that rate).

Funny, we talked about this many months ago and I will be darned if that is not exactly what is happening.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-15-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Odd, talking to a guy at a local sail club who's been in this basically forever (and his father before him, IIRC), he said it's a buyer's market right now.
Old 06-15-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim
Odd, talking to a guy at a local sail club who's been in this basically forever (and his father before him, IIRC), he said it's a buyer's market right now.
I'm sure that's still the case. However, I've heard several people remark in other forums that the balance has shifted a little -- although noticably -- in favor of sellers. My C-30, for instance, has quadrupled in value in the last month alone.
Old 06-15-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Well, judging from what I've seen in as far as movement of used boats, there ain't much. Maybe 0.5% of the boats I've seen since Oct. on the major sites have sold, if that.
Old 06-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

I wonder if it is only certain segments of the market/areas that are moving?? I have been sailing fairly large boats for some time... and this is the first time I have ever received letters (3 now) with interest to purchase my boat.

Problem is that it is not for sale!

I bet it is somebody from this site who got my address, gave it to some brokers, and said, "I want his boat... the one with the seasoned grills and infinite power supply."

Sorry, Buddy, ya ain't gettin' it. Go season ya' own grill.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-15-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Its the damn inflation. Everything (that is not made in China) is at least 2-3 times up from about 10 years ago, so boats aren't particularly special.