Hunter 23.5 and water ballast - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-17-2007 Thread Starter

Hunter 23.5 and water ballast

I am looking at a Hunter 23.5 for use only on Lake Erie. I am interested in hearing about others' experience with the water ballast. With the swing keel up, there is only 18 inch draft which makes the 1000 lb water ballast fairly high up in the water, and I am wondering how this affects the stability of the boat. Thanks for any input.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Lake Eriwe is a big body of water, I believe similar in charachteristics to the ocean. When a boat like this is referred to as a lake boat, I think people have in mid big ponds...I sugest you look at boats with permanent ballast...
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2007
Here .. Pull this

Cll me old fashioned but I've always tried to keep the water outside the boat...
post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2007

Misinformation

I don't have a link, but I was under the impression that the capsize ratio of the 23.5 water ballast was the same as the comparable Hunter with a keel. That's assuming that you leave the swing keel down, which you are supposed to do anyway.

The water ballast is carried higher than keel weight, which makes the boat more intially tender, but I believe that it's ultimate stability is the same. If someone has contrary info, please post.

Now whether to sail on a Great Lake with only a 23-foot boat of any type; that's another question. Certainly that is not a big enough boat to handle any serious weather. It should be considered a fair weather day-sailer only.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2007
Water Junkie

I used to work at a Hunter dealer (rigger not salesman) and even in the sales pitch video...She was quick to show ALOT of belly and that was in milder winds... Hiking straps?? As mentioned above a reasonable fair weather boat.
Thats all I have to say about that.
AL
post #6 of 6 Old 07-06-2007

Sorry I'm Late

I'm late on this thread but I have 15 years and hundreds of miles of experience on a water ballasted boat on the Great lakes and elsewhere.

My boat was an older Macgregor 26 (for which I have been abused without mercy on this board even though it wasn't the 26X powersailer) and it stood up to any punishment and all winds that I encountered.

Water ballasted boats are easy to trailer. The swing centerboard is light and easy to lift. The board adds nothing to the righting effect and doesn't have to be all the way down so you can sail in shoal water.

I crossed all but Ontario in the Great Lakes in this boat as well as sailed most of the east coast in a variety of conditions.

You will need more of a weather eye in a smaller boat but don't let water ballast dissuade you.

We have a 32 footer in the Chesapeake but we can take our trailer sailor to the Keys each winter. How many sailors can do that?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.