SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   delamination? moisture saturation? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/33759-delamination-moisture-saturation.html)

sevseasail 06-17-2007 10:40 PM

delamination? moisture saturation?
 
If you are looking at a boat and you find out that she has had some problems in the deck core such as moisture saturation or delamination and it has been fixed
would that be a reason to start looking elsewhere or would it be ok?

What's your opinion?

Take a look at this...YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale Is that what I'm thinking?

Thank you!!

Sailormann 06-17-2007 10:50 PM

Doesn't look like a very comprehensive repair job in an area that is subject to a lot of stress...

If you are in love with the boat, get a very detailed survey, maybe even get a yard foreman to look at it, the more opinions the better.

Me, I'd keep looking... Could be expensive to repair - old boat, would make me wonder what else was coming loose that had not been fixed.

sevseasail 06-17-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailormann

Me, I'd keep looking... Could be expensive to repair - old boat, would make me wonder what else was coming loose that had not been fixed.

That's what I thought... Thanks for your response!

cardiacpaul 06-18-2007 09:43 AM

v-berth cabin sole looks to be waterstained. pic 13, 19 & 20 shows water stains on the bulkhed up about an inch... could be me or the pics...

SEMIJim 06-18-2007 10:13 AM

We looked at a Sabre 28 on which the top side stay chain plates on both sides had leaked. The seller (a broker) readily revealed the problem before we even went to look at her. And he revealed it was bad enough and had gone undetected long enough that re-coring was going to be necessary. And boy was he ever right. We did go look at the boat. It was apparent to us that boat, obviously once well-loved and well cared for, had been seriously neglected for quite some time. Our feeling was that the obvious could well be only the tip of the iceberg. We walked away from it.

It's so very sad to see what was once a terrific boat treated that way :(.

sevseasail 06-18-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
v-berth cabin sole looks to be waterstained. pic 13, 19 & 20 shows water stains on the bulkhed up about an inch... could be me or the pics...

Paul.
I see what you're pointing out.:eek:
That's why I like asking questions here. Thank you.

sevseasail 06-18-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim
Our feeling was that the obvious could well be only the tip of the iceberg. We walked away from it.

It's so very sad to see what was once a terrific boat treated that way :(.

Makes a lot of sense Jim. Thank you..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012