Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2002

Pangaea is on a distinguished road
Looking for a quality 27-30ft boat

By the time you find it, it would have been in the barn for 40 years.
But that is pretty small money. $20,000
plus is more like it. Good luck.

Dennis L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road

Jeff''s "Harrold" story is exactly what I experienced with my first boat, a 1966 Tartan 27. Different name, but he & his wife were the original owners, and he passed away and she was trying to sell it, and for a couple of years it sat on the hard. I felt bad buying it from his widow for $3K, and had no idea what a bargain I was getting.

Nice boat, solid as a rock and very forgiving for someone as clueless as I was when I bought it. Unfortunately for me (and the boat) I had no idea what I was getting into - her hull was solid but the interior and decks needed TLC, big time. I knew very little about boats & maintenance then and ending up making some mistakes that cost me.

Eventually I donated her to the University of Rhode Island foundation, where she was sold.

If you are looking for a lower cost boat, this is a good resource (although they''ve got a couple of six figure yachts too). They take boats in donation, tidy them up a bit, then resell them to benefit the school. URL is:

http://www.urifoundation.org/uriboats/urisail.html

Check it periodically, as they add new boats and sell them constantly.
Old 02-21-2002

thomas s is on a distinguished road

I wanted to comment on some things I dont think are touched on enough. I dont want to make it sound like I bought a boat for under 7k and sailed away.My boat had a tired and very neglected gray marine.There had been an electrical fire at some point so the wiring needed to be redone. It only came with the mainsail and for the most part it was filthy and basically unkept. On the plus side the hull and deck were solid and the boat floated , also recently someone had installed refrigaration. I started with removing the engine, my thinking was I will just get an outboard.I will touch on this in a second. I was able to trade my refrigaration for 2 jibs and a vhf. The boat came with a head /holding tank but after my friend tried it out and clogged it thier was no way I was going to try to fix it. I dont even like sharing my towel with my girlfriend.I made him throw it out and scrub the area throughouly. It was probaly illegal anyway. I am amazed at how many boats are set up with heads that just flush overboard. I know alot of you refer to Don Casey and I think I he says this is okay, gross! It makes me afraid to go in the water when I am anchored next to other boats. Any ways the porti pottie is fine for me as I dont live on my boat, when I make a passage I go overboard(dont worry I am far enough offshore) besides there is nothing more pleasant than taking care of buisness with the sound of gurgling water beneath you.My experience with the outboard is it doesnt work. I had a 10hp and that was enough to motor in very calm water and that was it, futhermore it hooked up so low on my transom as soon as you were out to sea the motor would get swamped instantly. My only option was to bring it on board total pain in the arse.I am a huge fan of diesel engines unfortunanely for me a diesel retro fit was 10k plus. I know there are several manufactures that make a drop in for a4s ,but at the time nothing for me. I mulled over this for a long time and figured I did not want to drop that kind of cash for a new diesel. I was not sure how long I was going to keep the boat, etc. I did however find a company that remanufactured grays. I was skeptical about putting in a gas motor (blow up,etc) but for $2800 and I could do everything myself.I went ahead. Plus I installed it so I know without a doubt everything is done right and then some. Everybody I met that finds out I have a gas motor knows five people that have died. I think the main problem with the gas motor was the ignition set up, moisture getting into the points,etc. I have electrontion ignition so far , so good. the other main problem was over heating . This can quickly ruin your motor with saltwater crystallizing I think somewhere around 180degrees. Any ways the money I saved I bought a windvane and a new mainsail. Again I would have preferred a diesel but with cashflow always being a consideration I made my choice.Also sometimes with 7500 to spend you can look a little higher. It wouldnt hurt someone asking 10 to12k for a boat to make an offer of $7500 you never know.
Old 02-21-2002

jharrison is on a distinguished road

there is a tartan 26 on ebay with an opening bid of like $3500 on ebay in their sailing section. you might check that out.
Old 02-21-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road

I sure wish I would have known about your engine problem.I had a friend with a perfectly good 2 cyl. yanmar he took out to replace with a bigger one.He sold it for $1800. A really good place to look for engines is:used gear section of Lat.38
over aperiod of time every engine you could ever want shows up.
Good luck! Gino
Old 02-21-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The Tartan 26''s were pretty spartan race boats and would not be my first choice to go distance cruising on. I raced on one for serveral years that was a high point boat on the Chesapeake. They do sail very well.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2002
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor

If I were you I would look for a Westerly Centaur 26. I am very familiar with looking for and working on boats within your budget based on todays dollar., Something that most people on these message boards would spend on a single sail. This model will provide you with the below deck area you will require and there are occasions when you can pick one up in need of major upkeep for free. With nearly 2500 of them made, they are not difficult to find. They have a shallow 3 ft draft and the twin keels make the boat very forgiving for the beginner. Some complain that they are slow boats but given the same waterline length to similar length mono keel boats the difference in speed on a reach amounts to about 2 tenths of a knot., .. Realistically you can expect to pay anywhere from 4000 to 8000 dollars for one that still has an engine that runs and has sails that are serviceable. I picked one up with new sails, new standing rigging, 5 year old diesel engine, and new roller furling and refridgeration for 6000 dollars in need only of cosmetic repairs so it can be found. Overall they haave a good reputation as a very reliable boat.....good luck....Rick
Old 02-21-2002

ntostenr is on a distinguished road

thanks for the good info. Time for more research.

Nick
Old 03-01-2002

Dana125 is on a distinguished road

I will second ndsailors'' comment on the Westerly Centaur. I own a 1967 Westerly 25, and have sailed on a Centaur. I am now trading up to a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 and am selling the 25''. I started with an Aquarius 23'' 22 years ago, moved to the Westerly, now to the Dana.

I''ve been an inland sailor, and am now intending to make coastal and short offshore passages---including the trip to the bahamas and sailing the Sea of Cortez.

The Westerly''s are built in Plymouth, England, and built very tough. Less than 200 of the 25''s were built, but ndsailor is quite correct---well over 2000 of the 26''s were built. The Centaur was probably the most successful English sailboat production run ever. Makes for a good network of owners. They are still common. You may even be able to find a freshwater boat if you are patient.

Both my 25 & the 26 I sailed had bilge keels (twin keels), designed in England to use the "mud" docks when the tide is out. They stand upright on the bottom when the tide is out. The 25 draws 2'' when upright, about 30" when healed.

I''ve heard mixed reviews of the sailing qualities of the twin keel design, but it does minimize draft. I''ve felt very comfortabe and safe in mine.

The Westerly''s are slow---they are a heavy displacement boat, but they are seaworthy. Frankly, "go fast" is not important to me. "Getting there safely" is---I figure having a strong, stable boat is the best defense. Westerly''s score well in that department.

My 25'' has an outboard, which I considered inappropriate for coastal and offshore work; it comes out of the water in big waves, forcing me to keep sail up, put out sea anchors and wait, or run for cover. The shoal draft makes running for cover easier.

The Centaur I sailed had an inboard diesel. Much preferable. The displacement from the Westerly 25'' to the Westerly 26 goes from approx 5000# to over 8000"; this translates into a much more liveable interior in the Centaur.

I agree that when buying an older boat, you best have some cash in your pocket. Look first to the big problems (hull, motor, keel mounts, etc) before worrying about cosmetic issues. A survey is well worth it if you are not knowledgeable on where to look for the big problems.

Maybe someone else has a better feel for the money issue. If I were to buy a $7,500 boat and plan on using it for passages to the Bahamas, I''d budget another $7,500 to go over the boat, standing and running rigging, engine, and upgrading the equipment for coastal/offshore sailing. That doesn''t include the sweat equity in bottom work, etc.

Good luck. Best of luck
Old 03-03-2002

JWag is on a distinguished road

I can vouch for the early 60''s Bill Tripp Seafarer 26, also referred to as a Polaris. Built in Holland, ours had been largely restored when we bought it but still had the original spruce spars and brass hardware. It was fitted with an Atomic four which was quite a bit of power for a 4500 lb boat. She was built like a tank and sailed beautifully, especially in heavier air. Don''t expect more than basic accommodations below, however, in a boat of that vintage.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.