Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2002

RLawler is on a distinguished road
santana 27

I am looking at a 1973 Santana 27 for day sailing and short coastal cruising. Is this a decent boat? Any warnings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2008
Bear

carebear186 is on a distinguished road
I too am looking at a Santana 27 (day after tomorrow in fact), I would appreciate any info gleaned from this blog or from any other source. The web has precious little info and only a few pics. If anyone in the community spots one and has time to have a brief discussion with the owner, I'd love to hear the outcome of those discussions.
Old 11-13-2008

stenzer is on a distinguished road
Talking Today's the day?

Hi Bear,

I've really been enjoying my Santana 27 "Vajra" for the past year. The only other sailboat I've had was a Columbia 26 Mk II, so my experience is a bit limited. I get comments from experienced sailors like "well balanced" and "sails like a much bigger boat." I'm not surprised that you're not finding much on the web, apparently only 200 or so were produced. She definitely has more charm than the average little sailboat, seems well-built and well-thought out. I sail the SF Bay often though I've only have gone out the gate with her once. Classic features and layout, a good sailor, easy to singlehand and fun for a group. The V-berth forward cabin is roomy and pleasant to sleep in. Mine has a Yanmar 1GM10 diesel (which apparently replaced a Wankel rotary inboard according to docs I found onboard). Good luck!
Old 11-13-2008

GreatWhite is on a distinguished road
I have only seen the 2023s and 3030s they are similar in that they are cruiser racers. This design is one with a fixed keel.

Here are the specs off the site:
Santana 27 -- W.D Schock Corp.

Looks like a nice boat, good luck.
Old 11-13-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
I have looked at that boat at westport marina nice little boat way to much money?
Old 11-16-2008
Bear

Follow up "Looking". The Admiral and I drove 100 klm to have a look at the Santana 27. Interestingly the hull had been spray foamed inside and a pretty fare job of it. Here in the Pacific North West, condensation can be a significant issue but in spite of the cold, damp day 14 Nov. '08, the interior was dry. I mean 2 tablespoons of fresh water under the bilge boards type dry. Interior absolutely plain Jane no frills. No electronics no guages. The original Atomic four and a complete parts unit were on the sellers shop floor as well as roller furling spools and swivels (yet to be installed). Mariner outboard wit charger plus smallish solar panel to trickle charge battery.Four winches in good order and brand new life lines. I could sail it home in a day but first will arrange with vendor for sea trials as he suggested.
Old 11-18-2008
Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb116 View Post
I have looked at that boat at westport marina nice little boat way to much money?
Must be a different boat. The Santana that I've just been referring to is not in Victoria but rather much farther north. I find this quite remarkable as my understanding is; that there were only 200 or so made. To find 1% of the total production here on Vancouver Island is a surprise.
Bear
Old 11-24-2008

Johnhen is on a distinguished road
Santana 27

I bought a new Santana 27 in 1970 and sailed it on Lake Michigan for 37 years. Last year when we got a new boat, I shipped it to my son to use on the Chesapeake. We have loved the boat and don't think we could have made a better choice in this size range.
It was solidly built, sails and handles well. and is comfortable. It is also fairly fast for its era and it is stiff. In 1996, we took first in fleet in the annual Chicago to Waukegan race mostly on a reach in 30 m.p.h. winds with full main and 155% genoa. Most of the other boats were newer and bigger but could not carry full sail in those conditions.
It has also been a comfortable cruiser for its size able to handle some pretty rough conditions.
If you are buying a boat this old you do have to be prepared to put time and effort into repair and maintenance regularly. Decks delaminate, water leaks will cause rot in the bulkheads and even the bunks and cabinetry. check under the chain plates for soft spots in the bulkheads and for signs of leakage around hatches and windows. After 22 years I had to replace all the interior bulk heads and cabinets in my 27. Delamination in parts of the deck have been repaired from time to time and the hull and deck have been painted a couple of times. The boat still looks good and sails like new. If you buy a newer boat, there will probably be a lot less work but then you can't find one for a few thousand dollars either. Besides working on a boat is almost as much fun as sailing it, isn't it? After 38 years, I'm still happy with the Santana 27 and don't think we could have made a better choice in this size range.
Old 11-24-2008
Bear

John:
Thank you so much for the "long view" this is exactly the type of info I've been looking for. This is decision week so will post again with details. Thanx to all who have read and responded.
Bear

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.