Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2002

prrthead is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

I had my eyes on a 1977 C&C 26. We had a deal going but it soured when the survey turned up deck core problems. How bad a problem is this? The engine was rebuilt 3-4 years ago, the head was new (but needed a little rework), and it didn''t have many electronics.

Meanwhile, there is a well-maintained 27'' 1978 Hunter in my area. Many upgrades and electronics, but the head needs replacing.

Finally, there is a 1972 Pearson 30 that I don''t believe has been taken care of with kid gloves that is also within my price range.

All have Yanmar diesel engines. Which is the best for coastal sailing and possible Bahamas trips. Do I need to keep looking or will one of these do the job?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2002

Bobola is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

A Pearson that vintage probably has a very thick hull, which is always an important consideration.

To check for obvious deck core water infiltration problems, jump up and down near the chainplates, stantion bases...etc...
If it''s mushy, buyer beware!

Hunters, in my opinion, will never cut the mustard as an offshore boat, but that''s my opinion. I never sailed on a Hunter offshore, so what do I know???

If you have the time and talent to fix any problems in the Pearson, you will have a good boat for (probably) a good price.
Old 02-24-2002

spud is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

If you''re interested in a C&C 26, I own one which is currently for sale. She is well maintaned with lots of new equipement and a large sail inventory. The boat is in ready to sail condition and doesn''t need any upgrades or work. Powered by a Vire(Westerbeke) gasoline inboard that in 20 years has never given me any real trouble. If interested email me at lsrsailor@hotmail.com
Old 02-25-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
C&C 26

Not entireley sure about deck core problems but they are usually fixable. It is however much easier to just avoid the problems since it is not your boat and buy a good one!

My main comment is that Heads are cheap and easily replaced. If the Hunter has lots of upgrades, etc... remember that head replacement is cheap and easy but instruments, sails, motors are expensive.

From your comments of above three boats I would have picked the Hunter. WHY?? Lots of upgrades sounds like an owner that cares for his boat. You made neither of the other two boats sound like they were cared for.

Remember also ... there are tons of used boats out there. Walk away from all but the best. It is always safer to pay too much for a boat in good shape than to buy a wreck for a deal ....

Mike in NS