Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

A friend talked me into looking at a Tartan 30 for him. It''ll go for about $5,500 (sealed bid, yard bills). It''s an early ''70''s I believe. New(er) Yanmar diesel. Topsides look good. Deck around stbd. chainplates looks nasty. I''d guess partial bulkhead and deck core replacement in order (didn''t go below). There''s also a noticeable crack along the port side of the skeg running fore and aft. Don''t know much about Tartans, but I think this thing may be repairable. Needs new standing and running rigging. Ahhhhh!!! Somebody STOP ME. Do these things sail fairly well? Can someone give me a little history on the chainplate and deck problems? I can do the glasswork, rigging, etc., but don''t know the boat itself....KW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

The Tartan 30 is one probably my favorite 30 footer from that era. This S&S design sails well in a wide range of conditions, and are reasonably fast and reasonably sturdy. Except for the engine in the middle of the cabin (sort of), they have a really nice workable interior. The are especially good upwind and have nice performance in a chop. Fixed up they are worth somewhere between 20 and 30K so you have some leeway before you end up with too much in the boat.

I am not sure what to tell you about the skeg except that you will need to do a careful repair because it is load bearing. 30 year old rigging is pretty well shot. The Yanmar is good news as most of these had Atomic 4''s.

At $5 to $7k, if you don''t need an entire core job, that is probably a really good deal.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

kevin.
the t-30 is a great boat. I also restored that one. I''ll take a look at her for you if you wish when i''m down.
My old t-30 is now probably the only tartan on lake geneva in switzerland
eric
Old 02-21-2002

Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

Thanks Jeff. Eric: the T-30 is a half dozen boats east of yours tucked in the SE corner of the yard. Maybe we''ll take a run at it. SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP ME.
Old 02-21-2002

Bobola is on a distinguished road
Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

eric, how much are you asking for the boat? where can i see it online??

Bob....
Old 02-21-2002

Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

Bob,
see http://kimberlite1.homestead.com. please
e-mail me backchannel kimberlt@optonline.net.
thanks
eric
Old 02-21-2002

Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

I crawled all through the T30. The deck seems amazingly solid, even with the chainplate problem, with only extremely localized core problem. The bulkhead MAY be salvageable with west system, but I''d need to drill some holes to see what''s up. It appears to be a 3 part plywood layup with the thickest piece in the middle. The weld on the rinky-dink chainplate was terrible, let go at the bulkhead and pulled the lower chainplate into the deck. The other side looks o.k., but that weld, too, looks pretty thin. The engine is a 2cyl Yanmar that looks almost new. Engine mounts could be replaced, maybe even new beds. Oh yeah. IS THE HULL CORED? I doubt it, but don''t know. I''m guessing the boat is a 1977 based on the transom numbers and the hull number of 464. Why would the stays seem so loose? The shrouds are tight, and I cranked down on the turnbuckles fore and aft. Bottom of the mast looks a little punky. Thinking of westing in a block, making up an aluminum tabernacle of some sort, or merely mounting a shoe on a wood block after I knock off 6" of the mast base. The topsides look good, deck sound, stanchions all there (nothing seems to be properly backed), fistful of dried out sails, blah blah. I''ll think we''ll take a run at it. Who''s the guy that specializes in old S&S designs, Tartans or whatever and how do I reach him? KW
Old 02-21-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

Couple of questions!Are the chain plates through the deck or are they outside the hull? Does the mast mount on the deck or in the keel?
Gino
Old 02-21-2002

Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

the chain plates go through the deck and the mast is keel stepped.
eric
Old 02-22-2002

Tartan 30 on the CHEAP

Eric: I''m not sure if he''s talking to you or me. However, I''m certain the chainplates on the T37 are considerably more substantial and better engineered than those on the T30.