Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007

MikeGreene is on a distinguished road
Gemini 105MC

Good Morning:

We are in the beginning stages of narrowing our choice of boats for our retirement cruising. Current plans are: part-time cruising (3-4 months annually); east coast, Bahamas, Caribbean. On the mono hull side, we are looking at used Tartans, Cape Dory, Brisol in the 35-38 foot range not to exceed $100K.

Here is the problem. I have the wife buying into the cruising dream but she isn't fond of boats heeling and the narrow beam. She is getting better but it's still a long road.

The current Cruising World has some articles on catamarans and I started thinking about my wife's healing/beam issue. One possibility is the Gemini 105Mc. Found some limited info on the Forums and a recommendation on the Mahina website.

We are visiting the Gemini factory tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has some experience with the boat so we can ask them some specific questions. Appreciate any assistance provided.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A friend of mine's family owned an older Gemini for many years... and cruised from the Great Lakes down to the Caribbean for many years on theirs.

The Gemini is a pretty solid boat for a reasonable price, and provides a lot more living space than a monohull of comparable size, but is a bit more sensitive to weight, so you can't load her up like the monohulls.

The beam on the Gemini is only 14', so she can fit in some of the larger slips, which can make finding dock space for her simpler than some of the larger cats, and about the same price as some of the larger monohull boats you're looking at, since a 40' slip will fit both a 38' monohull or a Gemini 105 Mc.

You should also join the Owner's Info Center at the Gemini website. They have a good article about an Atlantic crossing made in one.

The shallow draft makes it an excellent choice for the areas you're looking to sail.

I can't really give you any specific information without knowing a bit more about what you're planning—how many people will be aboard, etc. The boat is a three-cabin layout with additional berths in the salon area.

The master cabin is the largest and has much more room than the smaller two cabins... but some people I know have found the aft cabins more comfortable while on a passage due to the reduced motion and noise of being aft, rather than forward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Mike

we were just up Sunday and went through the demo boat quite thoroughly. We met Tony and he pointed out some of the very well done things....I was very impressed with the boat and she has far more space than our 38' monohull. Perhaps not the quality/craftsmanship but definitely the engineering, robust hardware and a great looking boat.

ALthough the Gemini is only a few inches wider than our mono the amount of room is not comparable...full size master berth, settee that allows your feet to touch the sole, steering station that is realistically placed, you do not have to step over someone to tack...just a really well designed, built and laid out boat. Then you get to the price and your are very happy.

I really like that the boat is finished to be used..not looked at or sat upon at the dock. I loved the back seat below the davits and it is very comfortable to boot.

dave
Old 06-26-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Although I am a mono sailor one thing I like about the Gemini is the fact you only have maintenance on one engine vs. 2 on most cats. But how does that impact maneauverability?
Old 06-26-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
Single srcew makes it handle like a monohull. Saildog forgot to mention that you should read cruising multihulls by Thomas Forth Jones and the other book he usaully recomends. You can find the name on other threads. The one difference that can get to some people, is the motion of a catameran is a little different, and can bring on motion sickness a little faster. Every one I've talked to says it isn't hard to get used to. I never found it to big that different.
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjarch
Single srcew makes it handle like a monohull. Saildog forgot to mention that you should read cruising multihulls by Thomas Forth Jones and the other book he usaully recomends. You can find the name on other threads. The one difference that can get to some people, is the motion of a catameran is a little different, and can bring on motion sickness a little faster. Every one I've talked to says it isn't hard to get used to. I never found it to big that different.
LOL... I actually PM'd him and had the books in the PM... so didn't see a need to post Chris White's The Cruising Multihull and Multihull Voyaging by Thomas Firth Jones in this thread.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-26-2007

MikeGreene is on a distinguished road
Thanks

All:

Thanks for the info.

We just returned from visiting the factory and Sue Smith was great!!! For the first time, my wife is the one wanting to buy a new boat NOW.

Overall I was impressed with what I saw. The boat is not fancy but it is functional and seems ideal for what I want it to do.

Regards,

Mike
Old 06-26-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGreene
All:

Thanks for the info.

We just returned from visiting the factory and Sue Smith was great!!! For the first time, my wife is the one wanting to buy a new boat NOW.

Overall I was impressed with what I saw. The boat is not fancy but it is functional and seems ideal for what I want it to do.

Regards,

Mike
Keep us posted, thats the cat I want in about 2 years.
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

While PCI doesn't build the fanciest boat, they do make a pretty solid, affordable boat. My boat is built by them. Tony Smith, Sue's husband and head of the company is very open about his designs and the pros and cons of them.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-26-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
The one problem that consistently comes up when I talk to Gemini owners is that they are not happy with the single leg outdrive. They have all said its a weak point in the drivetrain and all have had problems with it in one form or another. The steering cables are prone to breaking as well which is another constant complaint. They all agree that it, however, a very liveable boat.