SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Corsair Trimaran

16K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I am thinking on getting one, does anyone have one?

#2 · (Edited)
While I don't have a Corsair, I have sailed on them a lot. It really depends on what kind of sailing you are looking to do.

If you are wanting to race in the One-Design circuit, then you will want a Corsair F24 or F28. If you want to primarily race and sail short cruises, then the F28 is probably a better choice. However, if you're looking to do a lot of daysailing, cruising and making longer duration trips, I would go with a Telstar 28 or Quorning Dragonfly, neither the F24 or F28 have anything close to resembling standing headroom. You'd need to go up to an F31 to get a reasonable size of accommodation in the cabin IMHO.

I've sent you a bit more detailed info in a PM.

#3 ·
I just want something that is easy to sail and is able to do 20 knots. The F24 that I was on seemed to easy to sail compared to other style boats.

#7 ·
Obviously, sailing a CS-brand boat leads to delusional behavior... ;)

#9 ·
If I wanted a leadmine like a CS, I would have bought an Alberg 30.. or a Hallberg Rassy... ;)

#10 ·
I think everyone needs a trimaran ! If you have been on one yet then you have not sailed yet. Its all about speed isn't it? See how fast the wind can move you, with the ability to sleep on it and be safe of course...

Sailormann. I think your boat would get 20 knots! In a 50knots of wind going downwind maybe? heheheh

#12 ·
I have an F24 and sail it constantly in all types of conditions. I primarily solo and like to clock in distances app., 250nm round trip. I am not a racer and feel this IS the best pocket cruiser you can buy for the money. No one would disagree on a comparable sized boat (30 or less) if you made one trip.

#13 ·
guajiro said:
I have an F24 and sail it constantly in all types of conditions. I primarily solo and like to clock in distances app., 250nm round trip. I am not a racer and feel this IS the best pocket cruiser you can buy for the money. No one would disagree on a comparable sized boat (30 or less) if you made one trip.
IMHO, the Corsair F24 is a lousy pocket cruiser. It has generally doesn't come with a real marine head, holding tank or galley. It also doesn't have enough headroom for anyone but a midget. Cruising on a F24 or F28 is more like camping on water.... if you want a decent trimaran pocket cruiser, try a Dragonfly 800 or a Telstar 28. :D

#14 ·
Sailingdog:
Your points are completely valid and you are correct "pocket cruising" in an F24 is like camping on the water, I totally agree with that statement and would think the 28 would be the same but a bit larger. I do not however see the distinction between the Dragonfly 800 it is virtually the same boat. Nonetheless, I have owned and avidly sailed all the above; Macgregor 26, Catalina 25, and co-owner in the new Hunter 25. Again I sail long distances (Coastal) solo in all the boats and found there is absolutely no comparison when comparing the Corsair, NONE. None of the boats outlined have good heads and none of the above does anyone actually go down below and hang out so head room not my concern. I am over six feet tall and over 200lbs and find the Corsair more than enough room to accomplish my pocket sailing needs along with my wife's. My bottom line is when I sail to the Bahamas, Keys, up to Charleston, etc..., depending on the weather average any where from 9-14knts at any point of sail and do that safely. I can fly the chute solo with the auto and make any tack, jibe with ease, that I cannot say for any of my previous boats. And in 10ft seas (my max) I feel MUCH MORE stable offshore than again with any of my previous boats. Cabin space is ridiculous for these size boats hence the term "Pocket Cruiser"
Corsair F24 THE BEST POCKET CRUISER ANYONE CAN BUY FOR THE MONEY NO QUESTION!!!

#15 ·
The Telstar 28 has six feet of head room, a full marine head with holding tank and a full galley, with optional refrigerator. If you and your wife are looking for a larger boat to move up to, it might be something to look at. :D In fact, it has almost as much cabin space as the main cabin in a F31CC. :D

#16 ·
Look guys, no matter how you "twist it"....want speed and confort....may I interst you in a real sail boat???:D :D :D

Guaranteed confort for up to 8, and good speed too!!!

tommyt said:
If it were only about speed we would not be sailors...would we! If I only cared about speed I would buy a big powerboat and a gas station.
I don't know if I understood that......I am not a sailor???:D :D :D

#17 ·
I agree with Guajiro on this one! Your more on deck then inside, if your inside your usually eating or sleeping. I say sailing is about speed, who mentioned motor boats? I said sailing, if you never raced and sailed slow boats then your thinking of going fast isn't in your knowledge of sailing! I say the fastest you can go under sail is the idea here, think of going to the islands in half the time that you normally would, that would be awesome!

Single hull boats are fat and slow!

#18 · (Edited)
ImASonOfaSailor said:
Single hull boats are fat and slow!
Ohh nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't call my boat fat...not again...I will have a nervous breakdown....another guy calling my boat fat.....look man she is a slow crusier, weighing 40.000lbs, what can I do???

Please accept my appologies, I am now going back to my corner and cry....

Fat....fat....slow.....slow.....huuuuuu........huhhhhhhhhhh.......slow....fat....buuuuuuuuhuuuuuuu

#19 ·
Giulietta i am sorry mannnnnnnn, that isn't what I meant dude! I am IALMAOROTF ( I am laughing my ass off rolling on the floor) I respect all sailboats i was just talking about speed......

#20 ·
ImASonOfaSailor said:
Giulietta i am sorry mannnnnnnn, that isn't what I meant dude! I am IALMAOROTF ( I am laughing my ass off rolling on the floor) I respect all sailboats i was just talking about speed......
Thank you, ...dude....really, you don't know what its like.....its hard being out there, sailing at 5 knots all day...and then I see you guys go so fast, and my boat is almost stopped, but I use the engine, and can do almost 7 knots.....

Thanks, I will think about a tri now.....I wonder, is it scary??? I mean...to sail fast???wow....you got me going man.....I'm selling the cruiser.....I'm selling the cruiser....I want SPEEEEED!!!!!

wow....

well, back to slow sailing.....sigh....

#21 ·
Giu... If I got something like that, I'd be going aground every time I tried to leave the damn harbor... your fat boat has a draft of almost 10'... A bit too deep for the skinny waters I sail.

#22 ·
If I had a boat like giuliette I would find a deeper harbor:D
when I get a certain person to take me on her f 28 I will let you know but she says no way to cruising it, just wants to go fast:)

#23 ·
soul searcher said:
If I had a boat like giuliette I would find a deeper harbor:D
when I get a certain person to take me on her f 28 I will let you know but she says no way to cruising it, just wants to go fast:)
Half the ports I like to visit, Giu's boat would go aground approaching. :D New England isn't very friendly to boats that go aground, since we have lots of big nasty rocks mixed in with the mud and sand. :eek:

#24 ·
The Trimaran hells at 15 degrees under any weather condition while doing 12- 20 knots once you learn to sail it because its a little different there is no tweaking the sails like you would a monohull. I was very impressed with it! My dad use to race like I said and you had to sit still and no movement on the boat was required! On a Tri it doesn't matter where you go it is very stable and fast.............. always!

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.