Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2002

sierra7969 is on a distinguished road
Information on the Jeanneau 52.2

Next year my wife and I will be setting out to live on our sailboat. We are planning on buying our boat within the next six months. We really think we are going to buy a Jeanneau 52.2, but I would like some input on what anyone thinks about the Jeanneau. Any comments or ideas for a really nice three person cruiser would be fantastic.
Thanks
Sean
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

First of all a 52 foot boat is enormous for just three people. Maybe you are an extremely experienced sailor but boats that big have huge forces and when things go wrong its very easy to major damage or injury. While modern equipment certainly can help, boats this size really require a lot more gear and a lot more strength and a lot more skill to operate safely. And when a piece of gear fails which it inevitably does at the worst time and place, you can''t just finesse your way out of things.

Then there is the matter of the Jeanneau 52. Jeanneaus are pretty much commodity boats like Beneteau (Jeanneau''s parent company), Hunter or Catalina. Depending on who you choose to believe they are either one step down or one step up from these more common production boats. They offer a lot of room for the dollar and pretty fair sailing ability, which is fine for a liveaboard. These are not what I would ever pick as a long distance cruiser.

Jeff
Old 02-25-2002

sierra7969 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply, what size do you think is good for three? Have you looked into the Jeanneau 43ds? What do you think about it?
`
Old 02-26-2002

Bobola is on a distinguished road

sierra, Where do you plan to take the boat?

Any remote locations you plan to visit?

A good ''rule of thumb'' is to buy as much boat as you can afford (now) because you will appreciate every bit of usable living space (you bought) the longer you live on the boat.

Seaworthiness is a whole different discussion.

If you flew to French Polynesia, you would see a lot of plastic production boats French sailors sailed across the Atlantic, through the canal and then on to the Pacific. Based on that you could say that the Jeanneau is up to the task, and then probably then some.

What you don''t see med moored to the quay at Papaetee, however, is the plastic production boats that tried to do the same trip, but didn''t make it!

Read everything you can on what fails on a sailboat and why and this will help you choose the right boat and the right gear.

Good luck.

Bob.......

Old 02-27-2002

newuser is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bob, I don''t plan on doing on any cruising up north or far south... I like to stay nice and warm. Mainly I was looking to sail the Carribean and possibly head over to Australia for a while. What are the pros and cons of having a plastic boat by the way?
Sean
Old 02-27-2002

Bobola is on a distinguished road

The pros; low maintenance, lots to choose from.

The cons; can be holed easier than other types of hull materials, can develop blister problems.

Have you owned a sailboat????

Done much sailing?????
Old 02-27-2002

newuser is on a distinguished road

I have chartered many boats, and have taken many classes from the Annapolis sailing school, but this will be my first boat.
Sean
Old 03-05-2002

jonconway is on a distinguished road

Sierra
I have ordered a 52.2 to liveaboard after extensive research and I strongly suggest you subscribe to the Jeanneau email list on Sailnet. There are owners there who can give you real practical experience of the boat rather than well meaning but inaccurate advice.