Information on the Jeanneau 52.2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-24-2002 Thread Starter

Information on the Jeanneau 52.2

Next year my wife and I will be setting out to live on our sailboat. We are planning on buying our boat within the next six months. We really think we are going to buy a Jeanneau 52.2, but I would like some input on what anyone thinks about the Jeanneau. Any comments or ideas for a really nice three person cruiser would be fantastic.
Thanks
Sean
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-25-2002

First of all a 52 foot boat is enormous for just three people. Maybe you are an extremely experienced sailor but boats that big have huge forces and when things go wrong its very easy to major damage or injury. While modern equipment certainly can help, boats this size really require a lot more gear and a lot more strength and a lot more skill to operate safely. And when a piece of gear fails which it inevitably does at the worst time and place, you can''t just finesse your way out of things.

Then there is the matter of the Jeanneau 52. Jeanneaus are pretty much commodity boats like Beneteau (Jeanneau''s parent company), Hunter or Catalina. Depending on who you choose to believe they are either one step down or one step up from these more common production boats. They offer a lot of room for the dollar and pretty fair sailing ability, which is fine for a liveaboard. These are not what I would ever pick as a long distance cruiser.

Jeff
post #3 of 8 Old 02-25-2002 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, what size do you think is good for three? Have you looked into the Jeanneau 43ds? What do you think about it?
`
post #4 of 8 Old 02-26-2002

sierra, Where do you plan to take the boat?

Any remote locations you plan to visit?

A good ''rule of thumb'' is to buy as much boat as you can afford (now) because you will appreciate every bit of usable living space (you bought) the longer you live on the boat.

Seaworthiness is a whole different discussion.

If you flew to French Polynesia, you would see a lot of plastic production boats French sailors sailed across the Atlantic, through the canal and then on to the Pacific. Based on that you could say that the Jeanneau is up to the task, and then probably then some.

What you don''t see med moored to the quay at Papaetee, however, is the plastic production boats that tried to do the same trip, but didn''t make it!

Read everything you can on what fails on a sailboat and why and this will help you choose the right boat and the right gear.

Good luck.

Bob.......

post #5 of 8 Old 02-27-2002

Thanks Bob, I don''t plan on doing on any cruising up north or far south... I like to stay nice and warm. Mainly I was looking to sail the Carribean and possibly head over to Australia for a while. What are the pros and cons of having a plastic boat by the way?
Sean
post #6 of 8 Old 02-27-2002

The pros; low maintenance, lots to choose from.

The cons; can be holed easier than other types of hull materials, can develop blister problems.

Have you owned a sailboat????

Done much sailing?????
post #7 of 8 Old 02-27-2002

I have chartered many boats, and have taken many classes from the Annapolis sailing school, but this will be my first boat.
Sean
post #8 of 8 Old 03-05-2002

Sierra
I have ordered a 52.2 to liveaboard after extensive research and I strongly suggest you subscribe to the Jeanneau email list on Sailnet. There are owners there who can give you real practical experience of the boat rather than well meaning but inaccurate advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.