Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007
Older Junior Member

lsusailing is on a distinguished road
Just bought my first boat! Catalina 27 diesel

Suggestion only. If the fuel tank is loose and you think it is easy to remove, remove it and clean it out. This is an old boat so you do not know what is inside the tank. You will probably find the fuel gauge system gunked up and gump at the bottom of the tank. If so, clean it out. Put a small chain in and pour a little diesel or kerosene and keep on moving it around and draining until it is clean, reinstall. This is the best thing you can do, along with changing the fuel filters. This will make sure that you boat "will go"

$2k is fine, makes up for any issues you have.....

LSU Sailing
s/v Daphne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
The spreaders themselves on the older Catalina 27s and 30s were made of wood, and definitely need to be replaced. I've seen a lot of older Catalinas lately, and a fair number of them have the originals. The aluminum replacement is something like $350. Check the chainplates while you're at it. I know that up until 1978 the chainplates on the 30s had to be retrofitted.
Old 07-01-2007

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
The spreaders are not wood, they are aluminum (not sure if they were replaced, or are original) - but their brackets are cracked (broken) so I need new ones. Also, I think I will sink new stainless keel-bolts, to help support the original (rusty) bolts.
I think the tank cannot be removed easily, but I might just pump it out and clean it as best I can- I am wondering how the heck I will fiberglass it into place though.
I will replace the pulpit eventually - and add a 2-lifeline pulpit, in place of the ingle life lines there now.
Lots of work to do - will keep you posted.
Phillip
Old 06-06-2009

musicmanontheseas is on a distinguished road
Hoe to move a sailboat onb a cradle

Do you how to move a sailboat which is on a cradle and get the both up on a flatbed trailer and then how to get them off. Any pictures available would be helpful. The sailboat is a 25' Bristol, full keel 6,000 lbs.
Old 06-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Please start your own thread on this issue... instead of hijacking this one, which is about a different boat entirely. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanontheseas View Post
Do you how to move a sailboat which is on a cradle and get the both up on a flatbed trailer and then how to get them off. Any pictures available would be helpful. The sailboat is a 25' Bristol, full keel 6,000 lbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-06-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Congratulations are in order, at least until you come to your senses!

An important thing to realize here. You bought her for $2000, but all the parts she will need are priced for the $60,000? boat she would be at today's prices. I paid $6500 for my 1984 Etap 26, and despite a huge effort to stay out of boat stores I have spent at least $15,000 already.

Another issue, was this a one owner boat? One owner boats I am finding are bad news. Instead of being used boats, they are often used up boats. All the stuff you think you can just fix wind up being total replacements.

Good luck,

Gary H. Lucas
Old 06-08-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
I will get dr.emitt brown to time port that message for you right away.