Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Pal, I can understand going for a pilothouse boat but personally...No matter how much I've appreciated staying out of the rain and sun, I've always found biminis and cockpit enclosures to be a RFPITA. Every time you want to rig something, or each something, or tie something, or go someplace, there's that damned fragile tent in the way.

I find that a good set of foulies, with a REAL GOOD hood and high collar that fit well, and a nice silk/wool scarf for my neck, or a nice navy-style watch cap (or "jeep cap" which has a short brim in it) keeps me happy enough in the cockpit, and an diesel cabin heater (Esper, Esbacher, etc.) below will remedy anything else in short order.

Trying to turn a cockpit into a pilothouse can be an expensive and cumbersome business. Just one sailor's point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2007
PNW transplants in CA

paul77 is on a distinguished road
hellosailor.. lmao.. I fully expected suck it up as an answer. I picked up a set of offshore helly hansen foulweather gear (retail like $1200) at their sample sale for next to nothing. It has a nice high collar, and very windproof construction. It's mostly my extremities, fingers + toes.. that and the wind/freezer burn on the face.

I read about camradarie in his shorts and tshirt in his CC, and started thinking there might be a better life out there..

anyone have thoughts on these.. ?

mason 53'
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

tashing 50'

I've read on the tayana forums and elsewhere about the concerns about teak decks from boats from the Tayang shipyard. Is the same true for the Tashing yard? Camaradarie, did you have to deal with your teak decks?
Old 07-05-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The folks at Marine Servicenter which sell Jeanneau, C&C, Tarten, nauticat and dehler may have some options for you also. The new pilot house at Signiture yacht sales from....dang it, can not remember the florida manufacture.........they also have benetueau and sabre.

Find something that is fin keeled, moderate disp, draft is not an issue in most places around here, unlike the east coast. So a deep fin will do you well for pointing as one needs to do around here, or downwind. Also one with plenty of sail area option for the summer doldrum months. IE a 150 lighter wt drifter reacher is a good summer sail, with a 110 for the winter, and something availible in the 140 range for normal work.

You might also look at teh 48 degrees north mags listing also, along with the yachtworld list too.

I also know a broker that has sailed his yacht he lives on from teh east coast to the southern puget sound area that he works out of. We bought our used boat thru him. A very knowlegeble broker. The folks at MSC are good too.

Other wise, used there are lots of Islanders, Newports, ranger, ericson, Jboats to some degree, that are in the cruiser racer mix, altho a lot less than you are thinking of spending, unless you do go new.

Also get something with a larger motor, due to currents and tides! ie the 6-9 knot versions thru deception, narrows etc.

Marty
Old 07-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Paul...the Mason seems cheap but I like them a lot. I'm wondering if there are significant issues with the boat (like decks).

The Orion reminds me a lot of our own boat and there is nothing wrong with the Tashing yard... the listing reminded me to tell you to put norseman 44 on your list as well!... I really DON'T like the golden color on that particular boats decks as it means that harsh cleaners have been used. The stern of the boat is a tragedy!

Any boats from any where with screwed down teak decks will need those decks re-done sooner or later. Some boats have had this work done already...others need it now and should be priced WAY below going market price...others don't need it yet. If the boat has spent its' life in the tropics you get less life out of a teak deck. My own spent the first 25 years of its' life in fresh water and up north and covered for 6 months a year + the PO had painted the decks with what looked to be some sort of house paint! So, our decks were pristine when we bought her but that was a BIG concern for me in the survey phase. So far no leaks and all we use on her is salt water! I wouldn't LOOK for teak decks (even though they feel great under your feet and give excellent traction)...but I wouldn't rule a boat out that had them unless they needed work.
Old 07-05-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
CS Yachts International
Old 07-05-2007
PNW transplants in CA

blt2ski, thanks for the pointers. have worked with brokers at both MSC and Signature on their respective new & used boat inventories.

Certainly an advantage to the used boat is having the sail inventory already built up. I have a friend who's spinnaker has never been out of it's bag

camaraderie, isn't the worry that the core is rotting underneath the decks, because water gets in thru the screw holes.. So even though everything looks fine, there could be a scary hidden issue, one that can't be surveyed for easily because it's the underdeck.

Whatever the "teak oil" he's using on those decks, they look to be in pretty good shape, not sanded down to slivers or anything, though hard to tell from teh photos. The wing is pretty funny, but I love the electric dinghy davit. Me and my girlfriend love anchoring because it's free, but also hate pulling the dinghy.. that solves everything neatly.

Sailorman, very nice boat.. if I end my detour into aging center cockpits, I should give those a closer look.
Old 07-06-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
CS Rules !!!
Old 07-06-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
"camaraderie, isn't the worry that the core is rotting underneath the decks, because water gets in thru the screw holes.. So even though everything looks fine, there could be a scary hidden issue, one that can't be surveyed for easily because it's the underdeck. "

You're right...the core is the real concern since the decks can always be replaced...but bad core gets messy and it is never certain how BIG the job will be until you start digging.
My own view now is that:
1. It is quite unusual to have a teak deck that appears to be in excellent condition and have significant core issues. On the other hand...if the deck does not appear in good condition, you can almost bet on significant core issues.
2. One nice thing about most teak decked boats is that they typicaly have removeable interior headliners. This means you can remove a panel and tap for core problems. It also makes for relatively easy repairs for core issues around fittings etc. ...I really ugly job on boats with interior FG liners.

So...as I said...I would NOT be looking for a boat with teak decks given the possibilities...but I wouldn't walk away from one automatically either, if I loved everything else about the boat.
Old 07-06-2007
PNW transplants in CA

For the brand new boat, we were pretty interested in doing teak. An awlgripped deck just doesn't give me quite the same feeling of emotional satisfaction. I'll take your advice to heart for the older boats, and find myself a good surveyor who can check this.

Or find more like this tayana 52, who've done the work already

I'll added a budget line item for shipping from FL. I'm waiting to hear back from dockwise.
Old 07-06-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd second hellosailor's aversion to canvassed in cockpits - CC or aft - and can understand the temptation to go for a pilothouse for year round cruising in this area.

But there are few good designs that meet the criteria other than semi custom boats. There are a few Cooper 416s and 502s about, (also built as US 42) - they have lots of room, inside steering and an aft cockpit for the good days, but don't really measure up to some of the other higher end brands you are looking at. Saturna made a 37 - a bit on the small side for you... the locally built Sceptre series (41/43) carry a good reputation and hold their value well - you might look into those as well. It's a handsome vessel for a pilothouse design. All of these were built in the Vancouver BC area.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale&

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.