SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for a Nauticat

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who owns one of the newer pilothouse sloops by Nauticat, particularly a 43 or 42. I really liked the 37 we saw in Seattle, but it seems a little small for our purposes. I would like to hear about your overall satisfaction with the boat, it's handling characteristics under sail and under power, any particular drawbacks, maintenance issues, etc.

Thank you.

#3 ·
TrueBlue and ChristyLeigh both have Nauticat 33 motorsailors, rather than the pilothouse sloops. However, they do love their boats.

#5 ·
I did say they were Motorsailors ;)

sailhog said:
Sailingdog,
TB and Christyleigh are the two characters I was trying to warn these nice people.

#8 ·
Having enough money to set foot on one isn't a problem.. having enough money to buy one is.. ;)

#9 · (Edited)
Well.... the Hog is right about one thing - The Madness :rolleyes: I assume you have looked into pricing of a newer and larger Nauticat. If not be prepared for some serious sticker shock :eek: ..... and because of that, newer Nauticats are few and far between. I bought my 99 331 almost 2 years ago and in that 2 years have not seen another 331 (started in 98 as a change from the 33) on Yachtworld or anywhere else in this country. When the Euro beat the crap out of the $ the US market died. As for Hog's comments on a Catalina.... I had 2 of them and traded in a 99 c320 for a 99 NC331 at 3 times the price - hence The Madness :eek: Here is a link to the owners site that may help you - www.nauticatusa.com(al) Not trying to scare you away or impress you with my penchant for spending money (that I don't have) but if I had enough money to even consider a newer, much larger Nauticat, I would fly to Finland, talk to Mr Gustoffson, and have them build me one - that's what they love to do as a semi-custom operation.

#10 ·
Most (if not all) buyers of new Nauticats have them customized using their personal requirement programs. If you have the means (or madness) to spend close to a million dollars for 40 + foot boat, there shouldn't be any other option.

As Stan mentioned, finding any pre-owned Nauticat for sale in this country newer than the late 1980's will be next to impossible. The older ones, although loved through the years by their owners, will have some upgrade issues. The value however, has actually increased on mine - based upon recent sales.

#11 ·
abradley-

You were warned that TB and CL are fanatics.. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.