Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007

rlalaw is on a distinguished road
Victoria 18 vs Com-Pac 16

Hi - I'd appreciate any advice/thoughts you could share..

I'm a novice sailor, looking for my first boat.... a small, trailerable boat that I might be able to sleep on (very occassionally).. I live in Boston, and would like to do some coastal cruising, in the harbor and maybe inside Cape Cod. These 2 boats are for sale near me, in the approximate same price range ($1800 and $2100). They seem like they're both in decent shape. I tried to paste the links to the ads below, but I'm sure they will be offline in the next couple of weeks..

Please share any knowledge you have of either. THANKS!

1979 com-pac 16 (with trailer, 4hp motor, small jib): http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/365615088.html

1983 victoria 18 (with trailer, no motor): http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/368006604.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Compac's are pretty solid little boats... and make far more sense than the victoria 18, since the compac has both an outboard motor and a trailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
The Victoria will sail better..
Old 07-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not really... if you can't get the boat to the water.. it won't sail well at all... and a trailer and outboard will cost some money.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-10-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Has a trailer - just doesn't have a motor, and a purist doesn't need one of those
Old 07-10-2007

thanks for the insight. I will be checking out the ComPac this week, and the Victoria over the weekend.. Is it safe to say that the Victoria is more stable,as well as faster?
Old 07-10-2007
Telstar 28

Rlalaw-

It is a bigger boat, so it is going to be marginally faster and stable... but boats in that size range aren't known for their stability overall.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-10-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Victoria 18 is based on McVay minuette hull. Has a long fin keel with attached rudder. (I believe someone here once said these cannot be called Full Keels). I sailed a Minutte for years. Pretty stable for a small boat. Not familiar with the Compac 16. Does it have a weighted keel or is it a dingy?

I would go with the keel model. Then again I am biased and always loved the Minuette.

I suspect both are suited to stay within your Bay rather than sail down the coast.

Have fun!

Mike
Old 07-11-2007

the Com-Pac is has a similar keel - I think it's 450 lbs for a 1000 lb boat. 12" draft..

I've heard good things about both the Victoria and the Com-Pac. The Victoria seems like it's built a little heartier, but the Com-Pac is also quite solid and has some benefits..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.