SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

small and comfortable and bluewater.... can it be done

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I look @ the benateaus and Im like it looks comfortable and nice... but many on here treat it like a 2nd rate citizen so Im gonna take the word from many that have more exprience than me and avoid the stepchild... so im looking @ the bluewater boats (tartan, cape, island packet, bristol, alberg, sabre) they seem narrower ( which i understand is better for ocean crossing) im looking for a world cruser in the 35-40' range that gives me a bit more than a v berth when on the hook... isalnd packets got some nice stuff with a master stateroom but as you all know that price is for the rich and famous...

Ill be specfic what used older boats that are bluewater capable that are comfortable ( more than a v-berth) maybe a full bed??? i m doing this with my wife and want some comfort @ port... correct me if im wrong but how does a cpl sleep omfortably in a VBERTH for months??!!??? im not picky i live a very modest life and realize that worldcrusing on my budget will be modest @ best but V_Berth.... seems brutal

budget is 75000 all in refit and all

#2 ·
Yes, you can buy a bluewater capable boat of the size you're looking at in the price range you can afford. However, almost none of the bluewater boats you're looking at are going to have a "full bed" as a general rule. To have a full bed, rather than a v-berth or some other type of double berth really requires more beam than most of the bluewater-type boats are going to have in that size.

Hallberg Rassy 35, Southern Cross 35, Alberg 37, Van De Stadt designs, Cape Dory 36, and others are all within your price range and are proven bluewater capable designs.

However, if you are on a budget, and I seriously recommend that you reserve at least 15-20% of your budget for refitting, upgrading and modifying the boat that you do get, you may have to make some compromises.

#5 ·
camaraderie said:
The smallest reasonably priced center cockpit boat that I am aware of with bluewater credentials is the Whitby or Brewer 42. You could probably pick up a Whitb in your price range but would need to be prepared to invest 20-30k to bring her up to cruising standard.
Or you could simply skip the inevitable move-up itch and just buy cam's lovely center cockpit ketch . . . :)

#6 ·
if you want a small center cockpit ...

the Moody 345 is worth considering. Not many in North America (they are English) but they are substantial and do not look bad for a center cockpit in that size range (hard to do).

Non center cockpit, you could look at a Niagara 35 with the Encore interior. They have an offset double berth and are solid cruisers. Not cheap though.

#7 ·
$75,000.00 is enough to buy a 30 to (maybe) 33 foot boat and equip it for long range-cruising. You need to account for the amount of time and money that it is going to cost you to take the boat out of the water, take everything off of it, replace, repair and rebed it all, buy a bunch of new gear and then put it back in the water.

If you're doing it yourself, it is going to take many, many hours - lots of sandpaper and drill bits and tubes of bedding and sealant and some expoy and paint and screws and hinges and wire and a whole bunch of things that add up very quickly.

If you hire someone to do it, you can afford a 24 to 27 foot boat.

If you want comfort, you are going to have to sacrifice speed unless you can somehow come up with another $150,000.00 or so.

#9 ·
Hang on now gentlemen. I may be biased, but there are a few other pedigrees out there that could be considered as blue water worthy. In particular I am thinking of an Allied Mistress center cockpit. There are a few for sale in good condition for around 35 - 45K leaving another 35K for the refit. Good boat with two cabins. Allied made the first fiberglass boat to ever circumnavigate, the Seawind.

#10 ·
LWinters might be a bit biased in favor of the Allied Mistress and her siblings... ;) But he is right, that is definitely a possible choice, and relatively reasonable in price...

However, the OP didn't specify wanting a center-cockpit boat...just one that was relatively comfortable and bluewater capable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.