This is my first post
, I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now. I am looking to purchase my first "full size" sailboat in the next 8 months or so. I have spent many hours on a sunfish (family property that stays at parents beach house), and slightly less on an 18' Hobie catamaran (which i consider full sized but is owned by a friend). I would like something that can carry 4 people consistantly, and 6, or 7 people for just a few hours a time when the family gets together. I will be sailing on Texas lakes and bays mostly but need to beach on Bolivar Texas (Galveston). I want a multihull, but am worried about how much weight they can carry after reading posts. I have a $20,000 budget including costs for first few years of use. Anyways, I wouldnt mind starting with a Hobie catamaran, but would rather have something like a Farrier tramp/eagle or bigger.
1. How much weight can the farrier Tramp/Eagle hold, and how big is the cockpit?
2. Is it possible to pick up something more like 24 footer for my budget? Although i will want to spend some nights onboard, i dont mind putting up a tent or sleeping under a tarp, i enjoy camping so i dont think it would be much different. would it be?
3. Should i get a monohull for my first boat, even though i would rather have a multihull? After all i would rather sail than watch from ashore.
4. How much weight can the 24 foot trimarans carry?
5. How much weight can the 27 foot trimarans carry?
when asking about weights boats can carry, i would like to know at what weight do the boats start loosing performance, and what is the most weight they can carry? Is there much difference beetween these two numbers? If anyone can think of any sugestions for multi or monohulls i should take a look at feel free to speak up. Thanks