SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Surveyor in/near Slidell Louisiana

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mmcginnis 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I've done a search for the topic but nothing comes up. Slidell is just north of Lake Pontchartrain.

I'm very interested in this boat and would love a recommendation for a surveyor in the area.

This would be my first boat and it seemed to be a pretty good deal and a good boat for a beginner. Everyone seems to love them so I thought I'd go this route. I live in South Carolina and would have the boat towed up to a lake outside of Columbia. I've been looking for something closer but I've been unable to find anything within my budget.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Well, mmcginnis, since nobody else has answered you, I'll give it a go. (N.B.: I'm a newbie at this, myself.)

If you have no other recommendations (see below), I would start with these two sites:

The National Association of Marine Surveyors, Inc.
The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.

And look for surveyors in and around your area.

But before you do that, try to learn something about sailboats, how they're generally put together, what you can expect to find in a boat of the age you're in the market for, the methods and techniques surveyors use, then...

Start making calls and asking questions. (Try to make 'em intelligent questions--thus the studying mentioned above.) It's been my experience that surveyors are willing to spend time with you on the phone explaining their experience, training, background, etc., and their methods, procedures, etc., if you're asking them good questions. (The more surveyors you talk to, the easier this gets, btw.)

Depending on what you're looking at, you may find one-or-more surveyors recommending other surveyors. (I had it happen three times, for various reasons.)

Finally, take recommendations from sellers and selling brokers with a healthy grain of salt. Keep in mind: A seller or a selling broker has a vested interest in seeing the boat sold.

Here are some more links I had under the topic "Surveyors" in my notes (some of 'em may reference surveyors in my area--I don't recall):

US Surveyors Association. Approved marine surveyor training and education courses. (Navtech/USSA)
The Sailboat Surveyor
Boatsurvey.com locates marine surveyors for power boat and sailing yacht surveys throughout the World
Davis and Company Ltd., Marine Surveyors, Marine Engineers, Marine Consultants
Marine Surveying Yacht Surveying Boat Surveying -- Rob Scanlan, CMS/MMS

That's about all I can tell you. Hope this helps.

Jim

#3 ·
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the reply!

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the subject and I have a knowledgeable friend helping guide me through this process. If I do buy the boat in Louisiana, I would like to go see it first, then decide whether to buy it or not. At that point I'd have a Purchase Agreement drafted by someone from my party and if that's agreeable to the seller I would then at that point hire a surveyor and go from there.

I've looked at the links you've posted and was hoping that someone might have a recommendation, but I'll start my own research anyway. A great idea about the questions and I'll talk to my buddy to make sure I have a good list to find the right person for the job! Thanks for the other links as well!!

I'm sure not having owned a boat is like not having kids. People tell you what it's like and you have this idea of what it will be like, but it's nothing close to what it's really like! I realize the boat is older but it's price range is good and the size is what I need for my family. I've been reading as much about these things as possible and we'll go from there. I'm still researching and learning as much as I can and I'm not ready to rush into anything. Just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Anyhoo, thanks again! I really appreciate your time!

Mike

#4 ·
Try Bob Doolittle, 985-727-4495.

He surveyed a boat for me last year and did a decent job. He was up front and honest about the condition right from the start. We weren't able to finish the survey (another story) and I passed on the boat (because of his recommendations). He charged me a lower fee because of it.

I lived aboard in Slidell and still live/sail in the area so let me know if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Tyler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.