The family day cruiser - life is full of compromises... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
Ditto on the Hunters
Yeah, I have seen a couple of Hunters (17?) that definitely make the cut except that a really sweet deal would be required. I probably should have said that anything much over 22' is probably to much boat (to address some other replies).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The O'day Mariner would be a good choice:
I Heart O'Days - Model Information - Mariner
Old 07-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like the Compacs, they make a nice trailerable boat.

However, I would warn you that many of your criteria are somewhat exclusive.

Quote:
1) Must be able to have 2 adults and 4 kids on board in a pinch. It would be unusual to have everyone, but it would happen from time to time.

2) Must be able to be towed and launched by a small car.
Has to be fairly large to handle six people. But it has to be very small and light weight to be towed and launched with by a small car. Are we talking Civic small, or Camry small???

Quote:
3) Must be able to be rigged and sailed single handed.
This is usually not an issue with most of the small trailerables.

Quote:
4) Must have a small cuddy (for my family, this is a must).

5) Must be beachable.
Again, most cuddy cabin boats are going to be a bit bigger, and most beachable boats are on the smaller side or multihulls.

Quote:
6) Must have positive flotation.
Not too unusual in a trailerable boat.

Quote:
7) Should perform reasonably well under sail.
8) Should not flip easily.
9) Should not cost too much.
You want performance, stability and affordability... guess what... you can't get all three... the ones that are stable and sail well are going to be a bit more expensive, and most likely multihulls in that size range. The less expensive ones usually sacrifice either stability or performance.

10) It would be nice if it could handle heavy air.
11) It would be nice if it could double as a weekend cruiser.[/quote]

Most of the smaller boats can't really handle "heavy air" but it depends on what you mean by heavy air. You need a fairly decent size cuddy to use it as a weekend cruiser, unless you're talking about boat camping.

The small monohulls I can think of that would be good, like the Compacs, are probably not "towable and launchable by a small car." The Farrier Eagle/Tramp fits all of the above criteria, except cost. It is beachable...it has very good sailing performance... it is very stable...it is light enough to be towed by a relatively small car. It can fit six people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-13-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
<>

Right now I am driving a 96 Odyssey with a big 4 cylinder, but still a 4 cylinder. We also have a 2000 Odyssey (yeah, we like Hondas) that has the V6 that I would use if I really had to when we all came along. Raleigh is right at the edge of the piedmont, so from here to the coast is pretty flat. Oddly enough, in the half hour from here to Jordan Lake and definitely in the 70 minutes to Kerr Lake, I would go up and down far more hills than on the 2+ hour drive to the coast.
Old 07-13-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
We had a family of 4, plus large dog, that weekended on a Hunter 216. They towed it with a minivan also. Easy to rig also.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog