Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
I own a 25 ft Helms 1975. I would check around the foredeck for soft spots seems like 3 or 4 other Helmsies have had problems with softness. I drilled out over 200 spots on my hull to eliminate the core wetting issue at every fastner and found water intrusion to the degree of discoloring the wood only under the primary winches.
You may notice the cockpit has scuppers aft on the pop top model and forward (not better IMHO) on the non camper.
I've been pleased with mine and will answer any further questions you have if you buy.
David Applegate
David@the-flex.com
Helms's 25 "CHIMERA"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I took the plunge and bought the boat.

So far I've powerwashed the hull and deck, striped the interior of all the old hardware and junk, clean out the bilge and have begun to paint the cabin.

I don't plan to launch her until mid-summer of 2008.

I'll post some pictures soon if anyone is interested in what $400 buys.
Old 07-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats I think... Good luck with it..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-01-2007
Broad Reachin'

I've started a web blog of our restoration. If you're interested, the blog can be viewed here: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dreambegins/

Old 08-02-2007

Zogumwesterly is on a distinguished road
Helms 25

I can't say much about helms cruising boats, but I did own a scow(Y-Flyer) that Jack helms built in lexington south carolina. this boat was about 35 years old when I sold it and it was still winning races. In the early days at helms he built all his own hardware camcleats(advanced for the time) his own blocks some of which were ball bearing, he was even had his own spar sections extruded and tapered them himself. That boat was built from aircraft grade plywood. He definitely payed attention to detail. But my experience tells me that boat deals work on a scale of diminishing return so you might expect to spend a lot on your boat.

Peace and Good luck
briggs
Old 08-03-2007
Broad Reachin'

So far so good. I've gutted the interior of the boat and am slowly repainting, restoring, and refitting the cabin. My goal is to finish up most of the cabin by the end of this season and then work on the exterior (deck, hull, rigging) early next spring.

Old 08-04-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Helms 25

kwaltersmi:

I bought my 1976 Helms 25 about a year ago. I sail in Delaware and this was a Peroia, Ill fresh water boat. It was complete with original trailer and a good condition 15 hp outboard. One main and 2 head sails that are old but clean and not torn but stretched out from age. Had a survey done on the deck before buying. PO put new bearings and lights on the trailer. Bought it for $5000. Going price for good condition 1976 Helms 25.
The reason I picked a Helms 25 was for the ballasted fixed keel with a draft of 20". It also has a 300# centerboard with a 6' draft all the way down. The air draft is 33.5' which allows me to get under 3 35' bridges in my waterways. I really like this boat. It points well, handles rough weather ok, has a large cockpit for day sailing. Its not the fastest boat on the bay with my old sails. Mine is a popup which added a lot of head room when at anchor. For my use in shallow bays, I think it is a nice choice.
I'm curious why Tartan34C thinks it lightly built. I'm not an expert and would want to keep an eye out in the areas you think are marginal. Can you point them out for us? I know the bulsa cored deck has to be kept dry, but that's true of all bulsa cored decks of that age.

Wayne
Old 08-04-2007

sailboatcnc is on a distinguished road
Thats a fantastic bargain. All boats are expensive to maintain. At least that one is almost free to buy.

A friend brought a Helms 25 all the way down from the Rochester area to launch it near the cottage I had at the time on LIS. I had a Cal 25 there in a slip. He launched it and rigged it up for the great race.

Too bad for him that there was just about no air and I had a 165 genny on the Cal and we caught some whisper of air and sailed off.

Thinking back on the thousands of $$$$ that I paid for the Cal that Helms is a gift. No yard storage either!