Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Opinions on Helms 25

I have an opportunity to buy a Helms 25 with trailer for $900 (or less). I'm basically looking for something that I can fix up over the next year and turn into a decent first boat and weekend getaway.

Here's what I know about the Helms 25 from the owner:

"We have a 25 foot Helms sailboat with extra large cockpit and cabin. It has a drop keel, and double axle trailer. It has a mainsail, jib, genoa, and spinnaker. Some sails need some patching. Interior cushions are ok, but old. Boat is in very serviceable shape, but needs some work. We would like $900 for the boat."

Any opinions on Helms sailboats or this boat in particular?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2007
Broad Reachin'

Here's a quick update on the boat description/condition after having checked it out this afternoon:

Sails: The storm jib appears to be in good shape. The spinnaker, mainsail and genoa all have 1 or more golfball size holes (probably from a rodent chewing).

The electrical system in the boat appears to be in very poor condition and will need to be replaced.

The cushions all need to be replaced.

The double axel trailer looks a little rough. I'm concerned about the wheel bearings.

The good: The hull and deck appear to be in good shape.
Old 07-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hmmm... low-cost or free boats are often very expensive propositions... that's why they're low-cost or free in the first place.

It can often cost more to bring the low-cost or free boat up to sailing condition than it would to have bought one that was in decent shape to begin with. The sails for a boat that size will be at least $1000 for new sails—assuming you want all three. The electrical system can add up to a lot of money fairly quickly, especially given the recent increases in the price of copper and wire in general, even if you do the work yourself. The cushions and upholstery aren't exactly cheap either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
kwalter,
I nearly purchased a helms 27 a year ago, and tried to research them without much success. What I did learn, however, is that the maker, Helms, wanted to make a "better Catalina." In my opinion, he didn't succeed, but I think they are well regarded for what they are. The H27 I saw was going for $12,000, and was in great shape. Minor osmosis, new sails, new running and standing rigging. Having recently purchased a boat (which I love), I'd definitely have it surveyed by someone who knows what they're doing, and who has no conflicts of interest. One thing I've learned over the past year is that some boats are actually worth less than $0. What I mean is that over time you'll see that it's a screwed up mess, and that you want something else. The problem: You won't be able to get rid of it because no one wants to buy it. Just have it surveyed, even if it costs you a third of what the boat costs.
Old 07-15-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Hey, I like a good deal as much as the next guy, and $900 is pretty cheap for a boat on trailer, but I gotta go with the flow and say don't do it. Here's a realistic breakdown of the minimum requirements just to get it in the water, (if you go as cheap as possible):

$150 used jib
$300 used main (if you can find a used one)
$500 used outboard (I assume it has no motor?)
$150 new lines (sheets, dock, Halyards)
$100 Battery
$75 Charger
$150 Wire and parts to get lights working
$100 Coast Guard required safety gear (pfd's , horn, vhf, flare, etc)
$125 Anchor and ancillaries
$100 Wheel bearings
$100 Sales tax on boat
$100 Boat registration
$50 Trailer Registration
$100 Insurance
$900 Purchase price

I'm sure there's lots more, but I'm already up to almost $3000. You do the math.

Last edited by knotaloud; 07-15-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2007
Broad Reachin'

Thanks for the replies (and keep 'em coming!).

I agree with this statement: "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap boat".

However, my current budget will only allow a small purchase and lots of sweat equity. It's either buy now and sail a bit by next summer or wait 2+ more years to save up.

There must be someone out there who is of the opinion that "Hey, it's less $1000. Go for it!" I can always eject (sell it/dump it) if I find it's going to cost too much. But I honestly think I can get it in seaworthy for not much money. That probably means I'll be patching the old sails and living without cushions for a while, but I'll be sailing and learning.
Old 07-15-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi
Thanks for the replies (and keep 'em coming!).

I agree with this statement: "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap boat".

However, my current budget will only allow a small purchase and lots of sweat equity. It's either buy now and sail a bit by next summer or wait 2+ more years to save up.

There must be someone out there who is of the opinion that "Hey, it's less $1000. Go for it!" I can always eject (sell it/dump it) if I find it's going to cost too much. But I honestly think I can get it in seaworthy for not much money. That probably means I'll be patching the old sails and living without cushions for a while, but I'll be sailing and learning.
Okay, "Go for it!", but at lease ponder why the current owner is "dumping it", and don't say we didn't warn ya!
Old 07-15-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I donít think anybody is going to encourage you to do this. You can find better boats for the same money if you look around a bit. That boat is lightly built to put it politely and has problems because of the balsa core in the deck just for a start. You will spend much more then the boat is worth and have a so so boat after you are done. To put the same time and money into a boat that has lasting value so you can recover some of your investment is a better choice.

Now having said that if you want to do this and donít care about the money then go for and have fun. After all when you spend money for a vacation its money spent with no return and this will be the same thing. You will spend lots of money and just have memories afterwards.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Edit. I was wrong and Knotaloud is brave enough to recommend the project. I wonder if he will feel bad after this turns out to be a mistake. VBG

Last edited by Tartan34C; 07-15-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2007
Broad Reachin'

Thanks again for the replies! I know the wise the decision is to pass on the boat. But there's also a part of me that wants the challenge and enjoyment of cleaning up and old run down boat. I'll keep you posted on the decision.
Old 07-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck if you get it... however, I still feel that getting a different boat would probably be the less expensive solution in the long run.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.