Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
All marinas are not equal. Check them out personally and talk to the desk about ammenities and things like waiting lists. Also look at the surrounding area, you don't want to be somewhere that is not safe and secure. Not sure about the weather down there, but up here a five minute drive means the difference between being foggy and cold in a difficult sailing environment, and a sunny warm and calm marina.
Best of luck

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2007
Summer Storm

guajiro is on a distinguished road
Drylander:
You need not to explain yourself, the internet, this sailing forum, and most forums in general prove to be a good starting point. A good post and I've gleamed something from it already as well. Again best of luck with your endeavor. gh
Old 07-15-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
In that..

In that price range condition, upkeep & upgrades matter far more than a brand like Catalina or Hunter. That being said, I see lots more Catalina's that are well cared for than Hunters on the market so you have a lot more boats, in decent condition, when looking at Catalina's. Catalina owners tend to be more maintenance minded than do Hunter owners IMHO. This is not to say you won't find a Hunter in good shape but there are just more well cared for Catalina's out there. Trust me I've now owned three Catalina's because I could find nice ones. One more thing.. SURVEY!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: I no longer own a Catalina and have no interest in pushing the brand over another brand. This is just my very honest view of the market as I see it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-15-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drylander
I can understand your frustration, however if you read the body of my message (not just the title), there are more questions than just comparison of boats. I got good answers to some of them. As an excuse, I can point out that nobody is born with the knowledge of answers to these questions, even though to seasoned sailors like yourself they may sound trivial and stupid.

Thanks!
Your questions aren't trivial and stupid, and I'm not that seasoned.

But your questions HAVE been answered, many times. A simple search would have shown this, and my frustration arises from the fact that these sort of questions come up in the form of a new thread every two to three weeks. I'm not critical of your boating skills or history (I couldn't judge them anywhere but on the water, as some people who have skills galore can't express themselves well in writing), but I wish you and other people new to the forum would learn how to use the "search" tool.

It's on the blue bar, between "New Posts" and "Quick Links". Fair winds.
Old 07-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

I've said much the same about the search tool, to little or no avail. It just doesn't happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2007

Drylander is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
Your questions aren't trivial and stupid, and I'm not that seasoned.

But your questions HAVE been answered, many times. A simple search would have shown this, and my frustration arises from the fact that these sort of questions come up in the form of a new thread every two to three weeks. I'm not critical of your boating skills or history (I couldn't judge them anywhere but on the water, as some people who have skills galore can't express themselves well in writing), but I wish you and other people new to the forum would learn how to use the "search" tool.

It's on the blue bar, between "New Posts" and "Quick Links". Fair winds.
I'll take it under advisement. The same time you are free to choose whether to waste your time answering my questions or not.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Opinions - hmm - okay...
Quote:
I have just registered.
Good first move !

Quote:
I do apologize if the question I am about to ask was already discussed 1,000 times. Just point me to the right thread please.
Not a serious problem, you just seem to have caught some folks when they are less than their regular, sunny selves.

Quote:
I have no boat, but have a desire to get one.
This is not a unique situation...

Quote:
It has to be a Sail Boat.
Good - for a newbie you are showing promise

Quote:
It has to be not expensive (less than $25k preferably)
Well, that certainly is not expensive, I'll agree with you there...

Quote:
and it has to fit my family (wife + two kids).
Not sure what you mean by "fit". Do you mean they have to like it ? That there has to be room for all of them to sleep on it ? Cruiser rather than racer ???

Quote:
Also it has to be easy in handling
Okay - this is not a difficult criterion

Quote:
I have never sailed in my life.
So why on earth are you thinking about buying a sailboat ?

Quote:
I do not plan to race it,
This is good, as it is possible that you might find racing a bit disappointing, given your level of experience

Quote:
but rather take family for weekends.
Hmm - better you should learn a bit on your own, rather than drown the wife and kids on the first go

Quote:
I have so far seen Catalina and Hunter (30 - 35'; 1980 - 1990).
Do you mean looked at with an interest in purchasing ??? These boats are too big. Buy a small dinghy about 15 or so feet long. Learn to sail, then take your kids out, then take your wife out. Then buy a 20 - 22 foot sailboat and take them all out together at the same time. Keep this second boat for at least two years so that you can get an idea of what it costs to own and maintain it. Then research the difference between the costs associated with a 22 foot boat and a 30 foot boat and THE TIME it requires to maintain a 30 foot boat - because - if you don't maintain that 30 foot boat properly and you go sailing on the wrong day you could wind up with no wife, no kids, no boat and no hope...

Don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but in my opinion, people who buy 30 foot boats to learn on are water-borne hazards to be avoided at all costs.

Take it slow, enjoy, and don't subject your family to unnecessary danger. Good Luck !
Old 07-15-2007

Drylander is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
Hmm - better you should learn a bit on your own, rather than drown the wife and kids on the first go
I am considering taking my mother-in-law on the first trip...

Quote:
Do you mean looked at with an interest in purchasing ??? These boats are too big. Buy a small dinghy about 15 or so feet long. Learn to sail, then take your kids out, then take your wife out. Then buy a 20 - 22 foot sailboat and take them all out together at the same time. Keep this second boat for at least two years so that you can get an idea of what it costs to own and maintain it. Then research the difference between the costs associated with a 22 foot boat and a 30 foot boat and THE TIME it requires to maintain a 30 foot boat - because - if you don't maintain that 30 foot boat properly and you go sailing on the wrong day you could wind up with no wife, no kids, no boat and no hope...
That is a good point, but life is too short and if I follow your advice, I'll probably get to 30' by the age of 80... I am not sure if I'll be fit enough to sale at that age... The reason I want to buy a boat is that I just recently moved close to the ocean and want to make the most of it now. For now, I just want to get myself introduced to sailing community and hopefully learn sailing before I buy my boat.
Old 07-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That is a good point, but life is too short and if I follow your advice, I'll probably get to 30' by the age of 80... I am not sure if I'll be fit enough to sale at that age...
It would take you about three or four years. If you are indeed taking this up at age 77 then - the kids are probably old enough to make their own decisions about their safety.

However, as your initial post seemed to indicate that they are young, you need to know that as pleasurable as sailing is, the forces that move a 30 foot boat through the water are sufficient to kill a member of your family, or yourself, faster than you would believe possible. You owe it to them to proceed intelligently.
Old 07-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Drylander—

First—take an ASA 101 basic sailing course.

If you find you like sailing... have your wife do the same. I highly recommend that she take an all-women's course.

If you both like it... then both of you should start your sailing careers by finding a good local marina or yatch club, and crewing on different boats and sailing different boats on your own.

After a few months of this, if you're still in love with sailing, you both should take the more advanced ASA courses...103 (coastal cruising) 104 (bareboat chartering) 105 (coastal navigation). This will give you a pretty good overview of the different systems used on a cruising boat, as well as the basic techniques you need for navigating and handling a cruising boat. It will also get you a certificate, so you can charter a boat.

If you're still game at this point... charter a boat or buy one.

By this point in time, you should have a much better idea of what you're looking for in a boat—full-keel traditional bluewater cruiser, fin-keel racer/cruiser, multihull, etc.... as well as some idea of what kind of equipment you want on the boat—GPS, RADAR, VHF, SSB, chartplotter, refrigerator, etc.

You can do all of this in under a year's time... but it is a bit more expensive than just buying the boat... However, it will prevent you from making a lot of mistakes, some of which are very dangerous, and some of which can be very expensive. Buying the wrong boat can be an expensive mistake. Not knowing pilotage or navigation techniques can be dangerous.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.