Beam 10.0’
Displacment 12000lbs +/-
Headroom 6’3”
IOR 24.5 – 25.5
Full Keel
Draft 5’10’’ (6-feet)

http://www.paceship.org/downloads/brochure-3228.pdf

I was hoping someone here could tell me about the build quality and longevity
of these boats. I really like the overall design and rigging layout of this boat. The top of the boat is low profile and easy to maneuver around because of it.

The current owner took the time to refit all the old equipment with new (to the boat) Garhauer equipment and Lewmar winches. The tracks are recessed all into the deck so there is no tripping. Included is a Sail inventory which is less than 2 years old. Tons of racing sails. Though I believe the sails to be pushed hard, they appear to be in good condition.

The interior is dated and needs refinishing. The electronics are the same – all functioning but dated. The current owner has had this boat for 12 years. He has raced it at his local club and won many races. The Atomic 4 appears in decent condition for a boat of its age. 70 hours showing on the meter. No idea if that’s accurate.

I guess what impressed me the most was the ability sail upwind. I have never been on a boat that could do it so well.

My intentions are to use this as a family weekend sailer in Lake Michigan.

Does anyone have any experience with these boats or AMF Paceship company in general?

Last edited by DistortedAxis; 07-18-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2007

DistortedAxis is on a distinguished road
No one?!

C'mon - does anyone have any information for me? Im getting a survey on her next week.
Old 07-19-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
I'm sure someone would have chimed in by now if they had any direct experience.

Generally speaking, I'd have the surveyor take a good hard look at the standing rigging, given the boat's apparently intense racing history.
Old 11-19-2007

DistortedAxis is on a distinguished road
AMF Yes OR No? Need Some Help.

Well, I had a survey done and everything seems sound. - very minor issues were found with the boat. Biggest was a broken motor mount. The guy said the rigging and hull were in great condition. Cored deck was good with no rot. Estimated value is at $19K.

I have talked the seller down to $10500. Any suggestions?

I'm really curious about the longevity of the AMF boats. Not a lot of info about them.

I'm looking for a 30ft boat around the $15-20K range Something for weekend cruising in lake Michigan in the Chicago area.
Old 11-19-2007

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
I've got a 1977 Paceship PY26 and I think it will last another 30+ yrs. the way it's built. I also have a lot of experience working w/ fiberglass and this boat is built like a tank.

Chain plates are as solid as a rock, the floor/decks aren't soft. The weathered Gel Coat took a lot of rubbing but came back nice. The original stainless is in great shape after a good cleaning. Mast and rigging (1 strand on main halyard is frayed) are all good also.

paceship.org would be a good ref. site also

p.s.
I have the in between boat, built in 1977 when it went from Paceship to AMF Paceship, this is info. from the website owner (Jay Moran) at paceship.org. I believe you have the Canadian built boat.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 11-19-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedAxis View Post
Well, I had a survey done and everything seems sound. - very minor issues were found with the boat. Biggest was a broken motor mount. The guy said the rigging and hull were in great condition. Cored deck was good with no rot. Estimated value is at $19K.

I have talked the seller down to $10500. Any suggestions?

I'm really curious about the longevity of the AMF boats. Not a lot of info about them.

I'm looking for a 30ft boat around the $15-20K range Something for weekend cruising in lake Michigan in the Chicago area.
To my eye, not the prettiest girl at the dance, but... she surveyed well, you have negotiated a favourable price to you, she's been around 34 years so I doubt she'll turn to dust anytime soon.

You are pleased with many aspects of this boat - go for it.
Old 11-20-2007

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
"Iím currently looking at purchasing an 1974 AMF Paceship Chance 32/28
Designed by Britton Chance"

"I'm really curious about the longevity of the AMF boats. Not a lot of info about them."

The boat would have been built by Paceship Yachts of Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia and not AMF. Paceship stopped building boats around 1976.
Old 11-20-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
I almost bought the smaller Chance 29 version. It was very heavily built, and in great shape, for it's age. I wanted a diesel, and wheel steering, so I opted to look around. I do feel that yopu are getting alot of boat for the money. I know a 32/28 owner, who races religiously, and loves the boat. It is heavy, and certainly not fast in light winds - He told me that the Tanzer 22s will pass him in light winds, but as the wind picks up, they head for the docks , and he is out having a ball! I am from the Maritimes, and Paceships hold their value well here, as people know they were built very solid.
Old 11-20-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
As to longetivity, I concur with FASTER's comments, this is an experienced boat, another 30 years need be no harder on it then the last 30 years, if you give it suitable care.

If I were looking for a PHRF racer, I'd happily buy it, this boat sounds well-equipped and looks to have some character. Probably pretty squirrly under spinnaker, but stiff upwind is not a bad trade-off.

As you say you want a cruising boat, I suggest thinking twice about this particular boat. I always recommend to buy a boat that has been used the way you intend to use it: whether blue-water, coastal cruising, racing or daysailing...By following this advice you are likely to end up with the gear you want, not with a mess of stuff that's of little value to you. The 10 racing sails on a racer might not be worth to you what the one dacron crosscut 130% roller fuling jib you want to have, would be worth. If your boat doesn't have such a sail, you'd need to buy it and the gear, then give away 9 of the 10 racing sails for a song...

Just a thought, you might look at a few cruise-equipped Catalina 30s in the low-mid teens and figure out their value to you versus this particular choice, then buy what will work best for your use.
Old 11-20-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I had two (smaller) boats built by Paceship, and grew up knowing the boats. They are strong, seaworthy boats that sail nicely. I think you will be very happy with the boat. She is certainly more than capable of dealing with anything that you'll encounter on the Great Lakes.

The pre-AMF ones are better quality than the AMF units. I believe the boat was originally sold as the Galaxy 32, then adopted and built by Paceship. A bit hazy on this but the people on the Paceship site will be able to help.

Paceship's original build quality was well above the current production-yacht standards - equivalent to that of Bristol, CS, and others.