Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Glad to hear all went well ! Enjoy !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndstreet View Post
I didn't know that boating was so expensive. ROFL!!!!
Trust me, you haven't figured out yet how expensive... You'll be ROFC before long!
Old 07-24-2007

81Catalina25 is on a distinguished road
I also have a Catalina 25 (1981). It is a great boat especially for a first boat. I agree with all the other posters, if you can get out of the deal then do so and then get a survey I would also suggest that you get it lifted to have the bottom inspected (you have to agree to pay for it but it's worth it) and a sea trial(if for no other reason than to see the specifics for the boat).

You will likely need a survey to get insurance anyway.

Like I said the Catalina 25 is a great boat and if you can get the survey it should provide you with a great experience with sailing.
Old 07-24-2007

MBesant is on a distinguished road
We bought our newest boat from a Marina in Sodus. Paid for a survey and still found some problems (although small and easily repaired)
First, get insurance. It's not just for your boat, but also for liability Very important
I suggest having the marina step the mast for this season. And be there when they do. Watch and ask questions. There are a lot of tricks to being certain that lines and stays are in the correct positions when the mast comes down and before it goes back up. If a line ends up on the wrong side of the spreaders after you have it up, it is nearly impossible to fix unless you take the stick down again. Amd that is never much fun
Also, do not scrimp, forget, or reuse cotter pins or rings. The stress on the stays is amazing and if a pin falls out can easly snap the mast in two. Very dangerous
Do you live near Sodus? If so, then winter storage at the marina in the cradle is prob worth the expense. It would cost a lot more to buy a trailer. They will store the cradle in the summer and, if you live close enough, you can stop by in winter to check or perform maintainance
Old 07-24-2007

SkipperJay is on a distinguished road
I have had two Catalina 30s and now am the proud owner of an o4 Cat. 34.
I can't imagine buying a boat without a survey.
I totally agree with Camaraderie. Cancel the deal and start over contingent on survey and sea trial. Critical repairs should be deducted from the sale price.
If seller doesn't agree move on.
Old 07-24-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
The one thing that strikes me most in this thread is the tendency to make a deal without doing adequate research beforehand. Most boaters I know take very good care of their boats and hate to see them go. Doing the research beforehand can prevent a lot of bad feeling afterward as most owners want what they can get for their boats but are also not trying to rip off new boaters.

I would absolutely hate to go through the whole pain of selling and then have someone cancel a contract because they changed their mind. Most owners are probably honest and knowledgable enough that if you ask the proper questions up front they will not only tell you what is right with the boat but also what needs doing.

It is definitely a buyers market now - especially in Canada with the current exchange rate. Old boats are old and getting cheaper. BUT --- once you have agreed on a purchase price unless there is something that was not revealed wrong with the boat I would consider it unethical to cancel and then renegotiate the deal.

Enjoy your boat. 25 feet is an ideal size for getting into sailing and boat ownership. Boats are fun but the $8000 you paid to buy it is only the start. You will have paid another $8000 in cost of ownership, upgrades, etc... before the first few seasons are done. You will groan with every dollar spent but should always enjoy having the boat!

Regards

Mike

Full Tilt 2
Old 07-24-2007

81Catalina25 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations and welcome to the Catalina 25 family. We love the boat. I agree with the post that suggested you connect up with the Catalina 25 Owner's site (you can get to it through the main Catalina Yachts site). There are lots of tips, pictures and enhancements that people have made to their boats.

Enjoy your new Fiberglass Whole In The Water Into Which You Through Money. It is expensive but when you are out on the water, with the wind and sun enjoying a fantastic sail you will know why you do it.

Cheers,
Old 07-27-2007

SkipperJay is on a distinguished road
Hope your new love interest provides you with many years of pleasure
or at least until the bigger boat bug bites you. Enjoy.
Old 07-28-2007

WuWei is on a distinguished road
42ndStreet!

Congrats on your new boat! I'm glad everything went well on the survey and sea trial! As for the insurance issue- I recommend Progressive! It helps just having a survey, AND they have great rates for boats. We have a 30'er that had no survey, but they were terrific about it and the insurance was dirt cheap! (Liability is very important..) We switched to USAA when we bought the house, but there was not that much of a difference (USAA is very cheap and only available to government employees.)

Good luck and have a blast with your new boat! I can tell from the picts you posted that she is a beautiful boat! If you need assistance with any restoration/projects, this is the place to post, as there are a ton of knowledgeable people here!

Chris
US 30' Wu-Wei
http://www.diysailor.com
Old 07-28-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndstreet View Post
I already have the CQR,
Close Quarters Rifle??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.