Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007

mmcginnis is on a distinguished road
Thanks folks!

We've rented a 25' boat for Sept 15th (the only size they had). Should give us a real good idea at that point because we'll also have a capt. So that'll be three adults and three kids.

Any other thoughts please post'em!

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Most Pearsons tend to be roomy down below, for their size, I believe. 25 years ago or so I crewed on a Pearson 28. Occasionally we'd do an over-nighter with guests. One time we had the captain, his g/f, two of her friends, and two of us regular crew. So: Six adults. I don't recall exactly how we did it, but I know I was in a light sleeping bag on the cabin sole between the settees.

So I'm thinking you want a minimum of a 28' boat if you're going to be doing any over-nighters with guests. But beware: Not all boats of the same length and beam are alike. Or even close. Case in point: We looked at both a Sabre 28 and an Islander 28. The Sabre 28 was very roomy down below. I could fit my 6'4" frame in either the port settee or the v-berth. The Islander 28 was, by comparison, very cramped. I didn't try it (the boat was filthy), but it didn't look like I'd fit in any bunk on the boat. Funny thing is: The Islander is beamier than the Sabre, so I don't know what they did with all that space.

Jim
Old 07-20-2007

resdog is on a distinguished road
My folks had a P26. Four adults below would be the max for sleeping. Two in the v berth and two on the settee cusions. You could put some smaller kids end for end on the settee's or pile them all in the v berth. Plenty of room in the cockpit for four although you'll be smacking knees with the tiller.

The P26 is a sleeper in club phrf racing. It's got a pretty high rating and if well sailed will surprise a lot of faster boats.

Last edited by resdog; 07-20-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
My previous '96 c28 MKII (not sure if the earlier MKI was the same down below) slept the 2 of us most comforably in the large aft berth, the V-berth would sleep 2, and the setees would sleep 2.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-20-2007

morgan5152 is on a distinguished road
I have a P26 and tho I really enjoy it the tiller will come into contact with others in the cockpit. That will be one of the reasons I will point to when I looking at boats with wheel steering. You can sleep 2 adults in the vee, hopefully your not tall, and 3 kids in the cabin, 2 in the dinet sp? and one on the starboard settee.
Old 07-20-2007

Paysay is on a distinguished road
Chartered a 31-2 for 7 days. Wife and three teenage daughters all had a great time. I don't think I'd want to do that in anything smaller than a 31-2
Old 07-20-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
My two cents

There are two versions of the 26, The Pearson 26 One Design with a larger cockpit, but smaller cabin, and the other 26, which has a smaller cockpit, but more room below. For true day sailing, the One design would be more appropriate as it has the room in the cockpit where everyone is. Sleeping below would be very tight INMO, even for 2 Adults and three small kids in that version.

The other P26 version would give more sleeping room below, but the cockpit would be cramped, especially with a tiller. The cockpit on this model is 6'8, which may sound like alot, but on my 10M Pearson (7' 6") cockpit, four adults is max for comfort. The day sailer version of the P26 is almost 9 feet, much like a P34 and a lot roomier.

Having a tiller, standard on the P26, some what limits the useable cockpit spaace so keep that in mind.

If you're really planning on doing a lot of overnight stuff, look for a larger boat, 30' would be my minimum. For daysails and the occasional overnighter, the Pearson 26 OD would be okay. Once anchored, you could always sleep on deck if too cramped below.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 07-20-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2007

mmcginnis is on a distinguished road
DrB,

This is the standard version of the P26. I would actually want the "roomier" (lol) salon.

Thanks sooo much everyone. I really don't think we'll be spending the night that often. Certainly not with other families. I have found several P28s - and other 28' boats, but they're much farther away. Which will obviously increase the cost considerably. I still have to explore the lake where I'll have a slip to see if anything is listed locally, but nothing's coming up on the web. The P26 is right around the corner and appears to be in really good shape. That's really why I'd love for it to work.

Not closing off the options though. I have enough to spend on a 28' and bring it here, but I'd rather not spend the money on that if I don't have to. I could do some really nice up fits on the 26 like double life lines and a new outboard if needed. Stuff like that. The guy would also help me do other projects on the boat like the step trick Dan Pfieffer did to put a cooler under the cockpit.

Really appreciate you folks taking time to post your thoughts and opinions!

Mike
Old 08-29-2007

Twizzler is on a distinguished road
Just sold our Dufour 27. She did not have the lines of other boats, but her comfort for her size was great. Also, very stable and safe boat. Recommend looking for more of her type.
We now have an Islander 28 which we have found to be a better, more comfortable and more responsive boat, but that may be out of your budget range.
Old 08-29-2007

LakeTravisP26 is on a distinguished road
Overnite will depend on the size of the kids. If they are smaller, it will work but if they are teens it is tight. If teens, they probably won't want to go out with the Ps all the time anyway.

I am 5'10" and the vee is plenty big. You can lower the dinette so it is a second setee. I do not have a nav table or a sink in mine so the setee areas are both long enough for a tall adult or two kids end to end.

It is a sweet boat, easy to sail and fairly roomy below for a 26. There is a great site with all sorts of info look at dan.pfeiffer.net the Pyxis page the boat.

Get a test sail first and see what you think.