Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Considering you have been racing J-Boat's, there are many at least here in the puget sound basin, older J's is J24's, 29 and 30's with in your budget. The 24's easily under 10G with a trailer, and a few 30's for 15-20K depending upon how hard they have been run and stored wet if you will. 29's are fewer and harder to come by. Altho the better sailer tween the 30 and 29 from what I have heard.

An older C&C would be nice too, I have always liked that brand, if I could afford new today, it would be a 115. If you keep your options open, there are many 25-30' boats from teh 70's into the 80's that are really nice boats. A lot on here do not like Jeanneau's I found an Orig owner 1985 Arcadia 2 yrs ago, very nice boat, reasonably fast etc. Not a J boat by any means, but will keep up with equal time frame sized C&C's etc.

Good luck with your search

Marty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
As an ex-Maritimer, exiled to Uppity Canada a quarter century ago - I would suggest you give some serious thought to looking at Ontario boats. They are freshwater boats, hence a 1975 on Lake Ontario is likely to be in better shape than a 1975 that has been in salt water all its life. Had boats down there and up here, and it's a pretty substantial difference. Also - you're going to pay a premium for boats down there, simply because there are fewer boats, hence supply-demand ratio is not as favourable.

I would not recommend the Tanzer/CS/Abbot 22's for the ocean, as they are pretty light and tend to bob around too much when the sea gets up. If you can find a CS 30 in decent condition, you'll be pretty happy with the boat as they are confortable, strongly built, and quite fast (for a cruiser).

C&C 25's are definitely decent boats, probably the smallest that you'd want if you plan to do any kind of cruising at all - even then you're going to need to be careful.

Good Luck !

CS 27's are also an option. They are pretty numerous up here. You can probably pick up a decent one under 20k and then ship it down east, and still save money versus buying it there. Check out this website: http://www.boatforsale.net
Old 07-21-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Maybe an older Cal 39
Old 07-22-2007

dumbguy is on a distinguished road
Wow sailormann... there are a ton of boats listed there, and that is an interesting idea.. The thought of a freshwater boat does have some appeal to it... I also wonder the cost of shipping vs driving up and getting it myself ? I'll have to check into that...

Lots of boats to look at thats for dam sure. Would waiting to the end of the season be worthwhile for increased leverage? Then this winter I could take the courses I would need to skipper the boat and such...

I know today here its a scorcher and I would kill to be on the water...decent amount of wind, sigh... stuck on land though
Old 07-22-2007

sailboatcnc is on a distinguished road
dumbguy,

Since most racing is handicapped you could race in almost any boat but it would be fun to finish before dark.

For cruising you want a boat you can stand up in and I don't know how tall you are.

We have had very good luck with C&C's. If your 6' or under a 30' will get by. I did not read every post but I have seen the 30' go for $10,000 US$.

I would shop around for a good priced C&C 35 mark 1. Thats a comfortable boat for 6'2" headroom and they sail well in most conditions. Don't get a small boat. Your only going to sell it.

http://www.sailingmagazine.net/UBN_0202.html

To add that we just had our C&C 35-1 surveyed for insurance purposes. The surveyor and many old water rats here sailed on 35-1's. This surveyor mentioned that he finished third in class in the Bermuda race in a C&C 35 Mark 1 named Bantam. Later a buddy owned that boat and I sailed against it.

The surveyor had emotion in his voice when he talked about how these old Mark 1's sail (and win). I understand.
Old 07-22-2007

Height isn't going to really be an issue.. I'm only 5-7/5-8 and my gf is pushing 5 feet on a good day so yea... one of the few times it's good to be average height!
Old 07-22-2007

sailboatcnc is on a distinguished road
Your fortunate. I would think that your lower center of gravity is a plus.

Are there any C&C 35 Mark 1's sailing in your fleet? Check that boat out.
Old 07-23-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Another Idea

I have a Pearson 10M (33 ft) It is considered a cruiser/racer and is well built. It is fast for it's size. 7+ knots for a hull speed, yet pretty roomy below. Can be singlehanded easily.

Just another idea.

DrB
Old 07-24-2007

I gotta say guys... I talked to some people last night at the Monday race... and I had a couple people suggest the States as the place to buy due to the increased competition and I went looking... and dam... C&C 30's going for 20K with 32,33, 35's going for 30... it's really tempting me...

Anyone go through this process recently? I guess I should contact a transport firm somwheres down there to see what it would run me and such but I am amazed at the difference... and with our dollar only being 6 cents off yours... it's very very tempting.

I have emailed about 10 or so owners with questions and such, as I start to find some boats that look good to me I'll be sure to post them up here for your review...

PS I asked two people last night what size to buy, got two completely different answers lol.... go figure right?
Old 07-24-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
The US is the cheapest place to buy - that's for sure. Cheaper than Ontario. Be careful with the really cheap boats though 'cause it's going to cost you more to fix one up than it would to buy one in decent condition. Good Luck !

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.