Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: US Yacht 25' - Are they as bad as they say?

Did he say when that month starts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Attitude is everything........well, at least for some folks.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-01-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Upkeep is the deal (the windows leak, like in my Capri 25, and my Capri 22, at 30+ yeras the seals/windows crack and leak, duh)...as for kenneth... well, I think he stands out as a colossal waste of electrons, other than that... who cares?

The OP asked a question are they horribly built as has been said. They aren't any worse than, a Catalina, or a Hunter, or a MacGregor, evidence is they are still being sailed 30 years later, and they were a production boat. They have their issues, as they all do.

My personal experience with the 27, and the 25 is they are tough boats, sail well, but aren't going to set the water on fire with speed. With that they are big for their size (cruiser class). The US Yacht brand is slightly different than the Buccaneer or Bayliner models, they are arguably lighter, and less ugly, and generally better laid out.
Old 07-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Upkeep is the deal (the windows leak, like in my Capri 25, and my Capri 22, at 30+ yeras the seals/windows crack and leak, duh)...as for kenneth... well, I think he stands out as a colossal waste of electrons, other than that... who cares?

The OP asked a question are they horribly built as has been said. They aren't any worse than, a Catalina, or a Hunter, or a MacGregor, evidence is they are still being sailed 30 years later, and they were a production boat. They have their issues, as they all do.

My personal experience with the 27, and the 25 is they are tough boats, sail well, but aren't going to set the water on fire with speed. With that they are big for their size (cruiser class). The US Yacht brand is slightly different than the Buccaneer or Bayliner models, they are arguably lighter, and less ugly, and generally better laid out.
US Yacht was merely a division of Bayliner wasn't it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-01-2012
Stupor-user.

Yes but when they were Us yacht the topsides and lines changed sugnificantly as I understand it they eventually became the Triton molds before they were (are) abandoned. Yep I understand the molds still exist.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2012

cousineddy is on a distinguished road

Hi. I thought I have a US25, but now I think its a Buccaneer 255. Its a 1979 model and US yachts didnt take over til 1981. Plus it has a Volvo sail drive 50s 7.5 hp. None of the US yachts seem to have one, or Buccaneer 250s. I found the specs on the 255, but no pics. Its all is the same as the US 25 and Buc 250 except it weighs 4100 instead of 3750, and the spec said 3.5 ft draft but mine has a deep keel. I was wondering where the extra weight comes from? The sail drive weighs under 70 lbs. Does anyone know about these Buccaneer 255s. I dont think there are that many of them.
Old 07-20-2012
Stupor-user.

I cant speak of the exact model but the Buccaneers as I recall had taller topsides than the US line. I'm betting this is where the weight difference is. Keep in mind those weights are "average" as with all boats and can vary as much as 20% within the production. The buccs and bayliners may have been the same hulls but the layouts and decks were different. As also said the topsides were taller on the older models.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2012

cousineddy is on a distinguished road

Ok, i found a magazine ad for the 1979 buccaneer 250. Go figure? Its sister ship is the 255 and comes with an inboard. Extra weight must be from fuels tank, exhaust, blower, and stuff like that. The 250 weighs 3750, just like the us yachts version. If you got the optional galley, then the cabin is layed out like the Us 25. Mystery solved
Old 07-24-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Looks like a nice boat I would go for it. Have you looked at any San Juans same year nice boat as well, Or a Captive 240 fast but tender and a nice interior as well.
Old 06-05-2013

Bucc25 is on a distinguished road

I have a us 25 as well, it looks identical to your pic, a tiller instead of a wheel. Personally I find it easy and fun to sail.IMHO all boats have drawbacks, the 25 has a small cockpit and high freeboard. I have had hours of fun working on it and sailing it, most people like the lines of the boat, a nice look. I bought mine for about the same price,sails, motor included. For $2500 you can't go wrong.