Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: US Yacht 25' - Are they as bad as they say?

Just saw this post... great post about our little yachts... I too have a US-25 and we both (my son and I) love it... sails great, simple and easy to keep.

We did some upgrades like microwave, induction stove, fresh water hookup, new cushions/foam, new counter top, and now contemplating removing the mouse hair covering and installing marine vinyl...

She has a new Suzuki 8hp extra long shaft outboard and the combination works great.

Enjoy... naysayers of these boats know not what they say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

I agree. I crewed on a friend's US Yacht 25 many times. It sailed very well, was dry and nothing broke. I wouldn't cross an ocean on it, or most other 25' production boats for that matter, but it was a good lake and coastal racer/cruiser. Enjoy!
Old 06-06-2013

Bucc25 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply, it is really cool to talk with another owner who likes it. Your boat looks great, I need to replace my oval porthole windows, the white looks great. I have a 9.9 Johnson that came with the boat, I put $600 into a tune up and new throttle cables. In hindsight a new one would have been great, but it works well, lots of power. The previous owner had planned to convert the cabin into his own design and gutted original stuff. My wife made cushions, I made a floor from plywood and covered it with carpet. I stuff my sails into the v berth, the cabin I use for storage only. I will get a pic and show you what it looks like.
guitarguy56 likes this.
Old 06-06-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Bucc... Thanks... The condition of the boat was in great shape but the interior was tired looking especially the cushions... everything else was the usual maintenance issues 'all' boats have... I started sanding all the varnish from the sole as seen in the photo and it's all stripped and ready for several coats of varnish but have teak oil on the sole to keep water stains from discoloring the wood... other than the mouse hair as seen in the photo I plan on making vinyl headliners/vinyl sides to cover the multitude of screws and bolts protruding the deck... might lose 1/2" of headroom but I can live with that... My biggest joy was getting rid of the Origo stove and adding the induction stove thereby getting rid of any fire sources... adding a shower would be nice but not really necessary if there are marina facilities... here is the starboard cushions I made.

There is a website for our US Yachts by one of the former Sailnet members but it is inactive for some time since he and his wife are in Japan.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.