Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010
kindsail

kindsail is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sandusky, We are very happy w/ the boat. Delivery is on the 16th of Decemeber, brrr. We will be primarily cruising for pleasure and maybe the occasional race down the lake. We will be on Grand, which can produce some chop w/ the cigarette boats, but there are areas of the lake that are better to sail and they don't go there. We are relatively new to sailing, have two good friends that grew up doing so to guide us on our way. We have a family of four and will use her mostly for entertaining. We can't wait. She is in excellent condition other than paint and rigging. Have my paint and new ropes all picked out. Just waiting to measure old lines for keeping costs accurate. The interior is gorgeous and only needs new cushion covers and curtains to fit our tastes. Sailed over the years and have a good handle on it so far. Have been watching lessons on reefing and the use of the particular sails.
Old 11-27-2010

sailor25b is on a distinguished road
Try this one: eliteowners : Kirie Elite Owners Group

I have a 1986 Kirie Elite 346. Sometimes I think mine's the only one around!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2010
kindsail

Thanks Sandusky, We are very happy w/ the boat. Delivery is on the 16th of Decemeber, brrr. We will be primarily cruising for pleasure and maybe the occasional race down the lake. We will be on Grand, which can produce some chop w/ the cigarette boats, but there are areas of the lake that are better to sail and they don't go there. We are relatively new to sailing, have two good friends that grew up doing so to guide us on our way. We have a family of four and will use her mostly for entertaining. We can't wait. She is in excellent condition other than paint and rigging. Have my paint and new ropes all picked out. Just waiting to measure old lines for keeping costs accurate. The interior is gorgeous and only needs new cushion covers and curtains to fit our tastes. Sailed over the years and have a good handle on it so far. Have been watching lessons on reefing and the use of the particular sails.
Old 11-27-2010
kindsail

Hey thanks Sailor25b, Most of the people we talk to go a what, Kirie? We found ours shopping around online and fell for the roomy cabin and light air sailing. We can have some powerful winds around here but one can always sail w/ a reefed main and still enjoy the day!!
Old 11-27-2010
kindsail

Sailor25b, I also find that like the Vivacity line made in England, there are few Kiries here in the states. We found three 30's for sale and chose this one for various reasons, mostly that she had been a freshwater boat and the other two were lifelong in the saltwater.
Old 11-29-2010

sailor25b is on a distinguished road
In the US, they were called "Elite," but in France, they were called "Feeling."
Mine is an Elite 346 (or a Feeling 1040). The company was bought years ago by Alliaura Marine, but I don't think you'll get much support from them today for your boat. Get used to fixing things and replacing parts with substitutes (usually hard-to-find metric sizes).
My 346 is a great cruiser/racer, and I give Beneteau First 36.7s a scare in local regattas (with time). My PHRF is 126 - not bad for a 34' Mainly, though, I sail all over and around Long Island - what a blast!

Enjoy your unique sailboat. Get used to answering the question, "What boat is that?"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010
kindsail

I did find info about the different names, but had assumed they were just different lines. I had read that Beneteau purchased Kirie in several places, so I emailed them and asked about info. I got a very snide reply email back from them. Even if I get rich and can afford one, over such a rude remark, I would not buy one. And you go beat that Beneteau next summer!!! You know the Elite 30 prototype won the '83 International 1/2 ton Cup!?!?

There is a great yahoo group that has replaced the one mentioned above by Marc, I will post the link below. They have some resources for most models and around 90 members I guess. I have already found the needed manual pages for elec., fluid system, rigging, and sail dimensions. Seem to be a helpful group of gentlemen over there!!
Getting our p's and q's in place while we await the moving date for ours. Enjoying all kinds of extra unknown costs and such of buying a sailboat.haha Can't wait to get her on a run!!!

eliteowners : Kirie Elite Owners Group
Old 11-30-2010
kindsail

ok, Sailor, forgot you linked the new group, tried to edit the above and it wouldn't so, yes, it was a momentary lapse of reason.
Old 12-02-2010
kindsail

Sailor, Alliaura has full Kirie manuals available. Took less than 12 hours to have it in my email. try info@alliaura.com !
Old 12-17-2010

ceol is on a distinguished road
i am a member of the Kirie yahoo group. we are not super active, but there are enough Kirie's out there that you will get a few emails a month. i have a 29CB. pretty much the same boat except for the rig and shorter transom. the 30's came in both an S and a R version. the R having a fractional rig. i have posted a lot of documentation about the 29 and some 30 stuff from my boat purchase up on the Yahoo group. i really enjoy the boat. fits perfectly for family cruising. i have added a bow sprit for asymmetrical kite flying. mine has the wheel, but i am sure mine was added later. i have done just very light racing with it. my kids really enjoy the v-berth.

if you are looking for more info, then searching for the Feeling 850, 960, 286 should get you a few more hits. it seems nobody can figure out exactly what size they have, so broadcast netting may be your best bet.

in the cockpit you should have a metal build plate, what does yours say? mine says Feeling 850. this plate should give you the hull form, more info for searching.

G~